So who will shoot a doe on opener

moog5050

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:43 AM, phade said:

I believe the conception rate is from roadkill sampling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not all sample sizes I disagree with.  statistically they're probably okay with some sample sizes, despite the general public doesn't think so.  it goes along the premise that 30 or so jawbones were used to get doe herd data last year for my WMU, yet I have about a 100 from last year pulled and dried sitting in a box in my garage (that they were told about).  there's good DEC staff here in NY but some really need to not openly admit numbers are sum what fudged due to extrapolation and then not make efforts to easily collect better data.

My son and I both tried to and almost did take does on opening day.Keep in mind we both are relatively new to bow hunting and both have never taken a deer with a bow. So today was are opening day here in the north and we both had to work in the morning so we did an afternoon hunt he got 2 shots off at 2 different doe the first shot he guessed wrong at the yardage using his 30yrd pin where he should have used his 20 and the arrow sailed high just over the deers back the second shot he had he was on with his yardage but the deer ducked the arrow, he was sick to his stomach 2 missed on the same night I told him that's hunting and things like that happen. I had 3 doe come out at about 50 yrds, 2 of them hooked off to the right but the biggest one did a full circle around me and went behind a Bush 25 yrds in front of me as I was getting ready to draw anticipating it would come out from the bush it all of a sudden got spooked and took off at a trot with tail up for about 50 yrds then stoped and started feeding now out of bow range don't know what spooked her I had the wind in my face and was in a 18 ft tree stand with a nice backdrop, so we both came real close but that's hunting and I consider it I a memorable hunt still the same.We also had My nephew and his friend with us and they saw 7 deer between the 2 of them so the deer were deffinetly out . Great evening in the woods, hope I didn't bore anyone to death just wanted to share are almost story.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My first day hunting of any sort last year. Came upon a doe. Like your son I guessed at 30 yards, used wrong pin, arrow skimmed just over its back. That night I bought a rangefinder. For most of us estimating past 20 is extremely difficult and even being off by five yards can cost you a hit.

But with the deer you are on you will have one bagged in no time.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Core said:

My first day hunting of any sort last year. Came upon a doe. Like your son I guessed at 30 yards, used wrong pin, arrow skimmed just over its back. That night I bought a rangefinder. For most of us estimating past 20 is extremely difficult and even being off by five yards can cost you a hit.

But with the deer you are on you will have one bagged in no time.

After 20 yards shots get tricky unless you practice Alot even then shooting at a live deer is different then shooting at a target . That's why Alot of instructors  will tell you to keep your shots close as possible.