whats in you emergency/survival pack??

rachunter

What you already have, plus a whistle, space blanket, small folding saw, protein bars, flashlight, extra batteries, and extra ammo (caps,bullets,powder).  A canteen and water purification tablets also come in very handy if you have to pack or drag out a deer a long way.  I don't worry much about the purification tablets in the Adirondacks because fresh, clean water is easy to find in deer season up there and I have always been able to get my father in law's ATV fairly close to where I have killed deer.  I do remember drinking gallons of "questionable" water as I dragged a mullie from high up a mountain, about 5 miles, down to a trailhead one year on a western hunt however.  Each time I emptied my quart canteen, I would go down to the creek, full it up, and add another purification tablet.  It is unreal how much you sweat dragging a heavy load at high altitude and warm temperatures.   

If you do happen to get into a survival situation, remember the "rules of threes":  You can go 3 seconds without thinking, 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.       

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

.  I don't worry much about the purification tablets in the Adirondacks because fresh, clean water is easy to find in deer season up there and I have always been able to get my father in law's ATV fairly close to where I have killed deer.         

No way I would drink from a stream in the Daks without purification.  Beaver population are way to high and you never know what is upstream. I've have 3 different people I know get it up there. 

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/

Best way to describe what they went through was that they thought they were going to fall through their butt holes and strangle themselves. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Bring plenty of drugs! :O

To be more specific..., aspirin, Tylenol, Excedrin, Tums, etc. 

The legal stuff that makes you feel better when your feeling under the weather.

Nothing will ruin a hunt or trip faster than getting sick in the woods.

Just drop them in the handle of your 2'nd most important item..., the RAMBO survival knife! ;)

• Like 1

I try to build my stuff off the rule of 3. In general terms, ( environmental and physical factors can  influence  it ) one can survive 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water , but if you can't stay warm and dry you can die overnight.

Outside of proper clothes, the one thing I would always carry would be a contractor grade trash bag.

Cut a corner into a hood and one can use it as a rain coat that covers most of your body, I wouldn't  do arm holes, if sheltering over night in it . Build a debris hut and cut it open to make a large sheet that can be used over the roof . Very handy, many uses.

Bic lighters are cheap and easy to carry, I advise placing them in a zip loc bag with some  fire starters . When they get wet it takes some  time for them to dry out. I also advise practicing building fires in the woods, under all conditions , no, a stack of dry wood, 3 newspapers and a can of lighter fuild doesn't count . I also carry water proof wind proof matches, the ones I use can be lit, placed under water , pulled out and they relight on their own !

A length of para cord helps greatly in shelter building, and also works as a haul line, and tying to sticks one can drag a deer if needed. 

Add in my knife and flashlight , I'm good although I tend to carry more most times. In the big woods a Lifestraw and bottle of water, well I carry the water in the farm woods as well.

If you carry a fixed blade knife , one of the thing I used to do is place a Bic against the sheath,then wrap para cord around the sheath and Bic, stuff a contractor bag in your pocket and your better prepaired then many, with little bulk or effort.

Edited by Larry302

Aside from the essential hunting gear. I carry a 6ftx8ft piece of tyvec house wrap that I folded as small as possible and vacume sealed into a small rectangle that fits in my fanny pack, an all weather butane lighter, waterproof matches in a container full of lint from the dryer, a life straw and about 25ft of 550 cord. I used to carry a leatherman multi tool but I took that out because I hadn't used it in 10 years. I ok very light compared to many. I cover a lot of ground when I'm hunting the ADKS. I have spent many cold dark nights under the stars in places way worse than the ADKS and I think I would survive pretty well for a few days at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyhunter1203 said:

Alot of people are forgetting medical supplies a little bit of gauze and an ace bandage helps tremendously. Say your by your self and you get a cut and can't stop the bleeding or a sprain at least you can get out of the woods.

this happen to me 2 yrs ago i shot a turkey with my bow i was so excised i grabbed it and the broadhead went between my two fingers blood was spraying out. i now carry hockey tape and gauze no matter what.

thanks for all the input i'm hitting dick's tomorrow to see what they have on the shelf.keep them coming.

i use a sawyer water filtration system it works with a straw or you can fill a bottle i've been using it for a few years beats carrying water.

thanks again   

5 hours ago, nyhunter1203 said:

Alot of people are forgetting medical supplies a little bit of gauze and an ace bandage helps tremendously. Say your by your self and you get a cut and can't stop the bleeding or a sprain at least you can get out of the woods.

Quikclot combat gauze, 4x4s, moleskin  and so on , and lots of experience plugging GSW and such. Just did not mention it as survival gear , which I guess it is .