Reloading Advice

Im going to order powder and bullets for reloading my 30-06, 222 Mag and 7-08 and was looking for some advice. What types of powder would you recommend for these calibers? i would like to be able to use one powder for at least 2 of the 3 and 3 of 3 would be perfect. 

In the 30-06 i will be shooting 180 gr Nosler Accubonds

In the 7-08 140 gr Nosler Accubonds or Federal Fusions

In the 222 mag probably 55 gr

You have a pretty wide spread of cases sizes and bullet weights to pin down a couple of powders....

However, for 180 30-06 and 140 7mm 08 you can probably do fine with 4350.  If you had specified the 150 grain 30-06 and the 140 7MM08 I would have say 4895 or 4064...I suspect that those powders are a trifle fast for the 180 grain bullets..

Those powders are pretty slow for the .223/.222 mag.... The only small case I ever loaded for is the .222 Rem, and a good place to start with that is 4198 or BLC 2..

If you pinned me down for one powder for the 3 I would suggest 4895, but you may not be obtaining optimum performance with any of the 3 with that powder..

I guess that is why there are so many different powders with different burn rates..

I'd figure out how much shooting you plan on doing before paying $$$$$ for a reloading set up. You may find it's just as cost effective to purchased $500.00 worth of ammo than to reload dependingn on how much you plan on shooting every year.

I'd figure out how much shooting you plan on doing before paying $$$$$ for a reloading set up. You may find it's just as cost effective to purchased $500.00 worth of ammo than to reload dependingn on how much you plan on shooting every year.

I didn't start reloading 20 years ago to save money. 

I am currently using RL-15 in my 7mm08, but I've been loading 120 Grain bullets for the last few years..When I was loading 140s I had excellent results with IMR  4064... Never tried the RL 15 with with 140s, but it should work OK, since it has a similar burn rate as 4895 and Varget, which are popular powders in the 7mm08 with 140s..

4064 also works very well in the 30-06 with 150 and 165 grain bullets..I never loaded any heavier bullets in the 06...  My own 30-06 loads are for my Garand M1 and I load H4895  and 150 grain bullets to match the original military load that the M1 was designed for..

I do load 150s and 165s in the 06 for a couple of buddies ...I use Imr 4350 for them....

bpb i agree i wouldnt save any money buying a reloading set up, but a friend of mine owns the set up and all i have to do is order the components and use his set up. and you cannot buy 222 magnum loads except a few places around the country have to reload them.

I understand that as I do the same fo rmy hunting partner.  :)

Ok another question for you guys where do u get you powders? I was going to order them on midway but there is a 28 dollar surcharge for Haz Materials. I have a couple places around me that sell some just curious what else is out there.  I am probably going to go with 4064 for the 7-08 and 30-06 not sure about 222 mag yet have to see what dealers have in stock.

I have always bought my powder and primers at local gunshops because of that hazmat charge on mail orders... I usually buy bullets mail order from Midway, Natchez Shooters Supply or other mail order wholesalers.. I try to find them on sale .... Hazmat charges don't apply to bullets, although shipping & handling can be expensive.. Often it's a wash just buying them locally...