Building platforms in trees

Jeremy K

25 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I definitely try to avoid the 3 or 4 trunk trees as much as possible they raise hell with wooden permanent stands. Go with a bigger diameter tree and use the branches that come off it. Or just use 2 of the trunks instead of the 3. White pine especially. Either keep it low so there isn't as much movement or yea, hang a hang on or ladder in there.. agreed as well that they will ruin your clothes with that sap. 

My neighbor makes all his stands out of wood. They make wooden ladder stands and wooden hang ons. Very well built but they gotta be a pain to put in a tree i would imagine. 

I love these wooden stands just for the fact that they typically always have more than enough room, and much cheaper in price lol compared to a store bought stand. esp, when you own 20sum stands 

I accidently clicked quote instead of like so now I'm stuck quoting your post . If I had more time I would love to build a platform in there and be nice and wide . I drew up a quick sketch of my idea that I know would work to eliminate movement from the wind ,it really comes down to not taking up a bunch of time to do it. Hillbillies every where with hammers and scrap wood would be shaking their heads at me .

20161114_094606.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Buy ladder stand(s). Set one up in the tree you think may pay off....If not as good a spot, then the option to move the stand is always available.

Ladder stand won't work in this situation the ladder stand would be too high and not deep enough to get inside the tree. I'm sure I'll just go the portable route .

16 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I have a ladder stand in the same tree for the last 8-9 years and produces every year but I do miss my old built ins with the screw in steps !  Getting on in years changes your hunting patterns !

I had one ladder stand that was getting tons of activity ,the neighbor did a bunch of clearing and the pattern changed for the worse. No it just sits ,mostly unused.

I know exactly what you mean with your drawing.. same idea I did with the tree step(nearly fully contained). That would work. I just left my tree step upside down and let the foot part of the step hold the wood against the tree. And as long as I used the step at the right angle it would act as a glide/slide, or tip it more and it would pinch it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Very well built but they gotta be a pain to put in a tree i would imagine. 

For the 16 wood ladder stand I made it took Mr B and myself with the front end loader to put up...I also have wooden ladders the 22 ft one it took the tractor and the two of us...With the 16 ft I dragged them out my self and hauled them up to the tree..not talking small 2x6 rails and 2x4 rungs wide enough to comfortably fit both my feet in my pack boots...The hang ons I did my self, I used rope and pulleys.