Who is hunting Thanksgiving morning?

Deerstalker

I killed my first Thanksgiving Day buck in 1968..

For most of my hunting life I would not THINK of missing Thanksgiving morning...Always  lots of hunters out and the deer are moving..

I guess I'm getting old....Considering that rain was forecast this morning, and I would have had to left the woods by mid morning at the latest to cook the turkey, I decided not to hunt today..Might be the first time in 50+ years I wasn't out..

The good news is that I am retired and still have the rest of the season to hunt.. Most of my hunting nowadays involves deer moving on their own rather than hunting escape routes to take advantage of hunter movement, so T-Day is really not that big of a deal anymore..

Good luck, y'all.....

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I killed my first Thanksgiving Day buck in 1968..

For most of my hunting life I would not THINK of missing Thanksgiving morning...Always  lots of hunters out and the deer are moving..

I guess I'm getting old....Considering that rain was forecast this morning, and I would have had to left the woods by mid morning at the latest to cook the turkey, I decided not to hunt today..Might be the first time in 50+ years I wasn't out..

The good news is that I am retired and still have the rest of the season to hunt.. Most of my hunting nowadays involves deer moving on their own rather than hunting escape routes to take advantage of hunter movement, so T-Day is really not that big of a deal anymore..

Good luck, y'all.....

Dan.....My friend Clark didn't hunt this morning either, as far as he can remember this is the first Thanksgiving morning in 58 years he has missed.  I pleaded with him to go out and hunt tonight. :)

I hunted this morning in East Aurora, the first time I've hunted that spot at all this fall.  Saw what I think (and hope) were a doe & fawn.  They were sky-lined so it was a no-shoot situation.   That's just fine, I had a pile of things to straighten up in the garage as it's just been a catch all for tons of stuff this past month+ of archery season and work.  I toiled away for better than two hours but now I'm in good shape.  I even cut my "buckstopshere" ramp and have the pulley system rigged for the next deer that is unlucky enough to cross my path.

Back to the subject of this thread, I THINK this is the first Thanksgiving I've hunted in 15 years or so because we have hosted the shindig since about 2001 or so.  Today we're going to dad's place......happily!

I never killed many buck or doe on Thanksgiving but two buck do come to mind.  (also happily!)

I missed a buck this morning. It's funny I was overlooking a huge ravine thinking man if inshoot one down there thanksgiving is OVER, I'll be here all day. Not 30 seconds later a decent buck chases a doe over the opposite rim right down to the bottom, I stop him but rush my shot and miss. I won't say I'm glad I missed but I'm not devastated either lol. I had plenty of snow to be positive I missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1