New to woods plots

Hey all.  I am looking for advice on putting in a couple woods plots.  As background, I am in Vermont, grew up on a dairy farm, have a 32Hp Kabota w loader, and am looking to make the most of the properties I have to hunt.  (I don't hunt in NY, or plan to, but you folks have similar weather conditions and a WEALTH of information.)

My past plot experience has all been in old pasture land, but over the past couple years I have cleared two plots in the woods while I cut firewood for me and my brother.  The two plots are 1/6th acre and almost a 1/2 acre, and are adjacent to destination plots/fields.  

Do you recommend a disc in this situation over a 3pt hitch tiller?  How big a disc? Throw & Grow?  I haven't done soil test yet, but plan to.  Should I start with something super easy to grow the first year?  Or just put in the clover & chicory that I want to end up with?  Would brassicas like daikon/GH be a better first year choice?  I imagine the pH in a woods plot would be low to start.  Does anyone have experience with a fast acting lime to boost pH?  I heard Cargill makes something like this.  

Sorry for so many questions.  Our deer season ended awhile ago, so I've been brainstorming on next year and getting excited about these plots, more soybeans, new apple trees, and maybe some hinge cutting.

Any insight would be appreciated.  

Unless your planting beans or corn don't worry about a disc. Use a York rake to scratch the surface. I even took a telephone pole and cut it down to about 3 or 4 foot. I screwed in a bunch of bolts half way and rebar so it was full of spikes if u will and tied to atv hitch 

Thanks zag.  I'm thinking clover and brassicas, not beans and corn.  At least in that spot.  Is there stuff I should plant the first year to help condition the soil?  Or should I just start with clover and brassicas?

On a separate note, my brother is going to try to build me a small set of disc harrows from stuff he has in the farm's scrap yard.  They would be pretty much free (we trade out labor) so I'm hoping to use them.  I found out the hard way that tillers aren't always the best tool for food plots.

I have a 6 ft disc and it works great. I do woodland trail plots. Tractor width trails planted that end in small plots.I started mine in buckwheat,  winter grains the first year. I Then went with a mix of clovers,Trifiol  ,small Burnett,and chicory. The planted trails are lined with bramble ,wild Apple's and dog wood brush...

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, zag said:

Unless your planting beans or corn don't worry about a disc. Use a York rake to scratch the surface. I even took a telephone pole and cut it down to about 3 or 4 foot. I screwed in a bunch of bolts half way and rebar so it was full of spikes if u will and tied to atv hitch 

zag, I'd love yo see a picture of your telephone pole drag rake. Would you post one?

I'm hoping to end up with a disc about that size.  My plot will be similar I think.  It's an area I've been using as a wood lot, so it's trails and areas I've thinned to let light it.  It's 75 yards from a hayfield with alot of clover.  I'm putting my brush/tops between the plot and the field.  Also, by cutting some, there's new growth of seedlings (maple, birch, cherry, poplar) in that area.  I found and released 3 wild apple trees.  The bucks made a scrape under one apple, and I shot my rifle buck right near there.  

Anyhow, thanks for the info Grow.  I will keep buckwheat and grains in mind.  Sorry to go on, I'm just excited about this spot.  There is a HERD of deer on the posted land next door, and I'm trying to create a destination for them on our farm.

No moss around there.  It's almost all hardwoods, and high and dry.  That's one of the reasons I cut wood there, because it stays dry.  There is a spring 150 yards away, but that area is well-drained.  I have to do a soil test, but it's accessible with a truck or tractor, so I can haul in bulk lime.  There's a lime quarry 7 miles from my house.  I'm anxious to get the soil built up and a lush plot for the deer and turkeys to enjoy.