Why is it?

chas0218

Why is it that every time I'm in a store I can't go by the gun counter without doing some window shopping? Yesterday after work I was heading over to field and stream to spend a gift card on some reloading supplies, as always they didn't have any powder I was looking for but I picked up some more .222, and .243 sierra bullets. As I was window shopping I was concentrating my efforts on .22lr pistols/revolvers. I'm not partial to one or the other but I have been looking for a Browning Buckmark/Smith & Wesson Victory on sale. They had the victory on sale a few weeks back but only $20 off so not enough savings for me to buy. Well long story short a Buckmark URX caught my eye with that clearance tag I like to see. I couldn't believe my eyes they had it for $289.99 then another 10% off all clearance. So I picked up this little gem for $269.99, $10 under their cost. If you don't follow these guns it sells for $429.99-$449.99 retail 499.99. I really wanted to get into trapping now that I have my own land and this little gun will fit the bill with a 5 1/2" barrel it should be perfect for nabbing little critters.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Nice score Chas. I've looked at the Buckmarks before and I didn't care for the longer barrel on them and went with something completely different with the shorter 3" barrel.

I have always liked the longer barrel .22 for close range squirrel and pests. I grew up shooting my grandfathers colt woodsman with i think a 6" barrel. We would walk around the fields after they were mowed and shoot woodchucks with it. Good Times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Why is it that every time I'm in a store I can't go by the gun counter without doing some window shopping?

It is called "Gun Nut Disease" once contracted it is almost impossible to cure, I have been afflicted by it for well over 50 years and it is worse than ever, I just keep getting nuttier!:umnik:

By the way the Buckmarks are great guns, I have one in the rifle version with the carbon fiber barrel, one of my favorites!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

It is called "Gun Nut Disease" once contracted it is almost impossible to cure, I have been afflicted by it for well over 50 years and it is worse than ever, I just keep getting nuttier!:umnik:

By the way the Buckmarks are great guns, I have one in the rifle version with the carbon fiber barrel, one of my favorites!

Al

Is your rifle picky with ammo?

59 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

Buckmark is what I carry trapping.  Good choice and enjoy!!

What length barrel you shooting? I was looking for a holster but don't want the long holster for the 7" barrel for my 5 1/2". I found one on amazon but haven't looked into it too much yet.

i've got a ruger mark iii with an almost 7" barrel  it's a tack driver.  when i was getting into competition it was between that and a Buckmark.  Buckmarks are nice reliable and accurate pistols.  5.5" barrel is more than manageable.  some say they are picky with ammo but don't shoot the cheapest 22LR out there or anything light.  stick with something that's close to 1200 or more fps.  federal auto match and CCI Minimags or Chootem ammo is good.

My Buckmark has the 5.5 inch barrel and I found a holster on Amazon some time ago. I believe it is an "Uncle Mike's" brand.

I have the camper in camo and it's a fun, accurate and cool gun to shoot. I have some .22 ammo left around my gun room since that stuff was under $ 2.00 for 50 rounds. I have never had any issues with any brand of ammo and it's cycles cleanly.

Good luck !! Image result for browning buckmark camper camo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Is your rifle picky with ammo?

The Buckmark rifle is not picky when it comes to ammo, while I would not classify it as a one hole tack driver it is plenty accurate for hunting, it's quick handling and it's 4-1/2 pound weight is the main reason I bought it. Like most 22 LRs it groups best with standard velocity ammo. My favorite 22 LR hunting ammo for Squirrels and plinking are the Winchester DynaPoints, it is standard velocity with a copper coating and a shallow hollow point, all my rifles and pistols group well with it. 

For bigger stuff like Woodchucks, Coons, Fox and even Coyotes I go with the high powered stuff, CCI Stingers and Velocitors are my favorites out to about 100 yards. This high velocity ammo does not group quite as well but it has more a lot more pop and enough accuracy to hit the kill zone easily on the larger Varmints.

Al

A well placed CCI Velocitor at 40 yards dropped this guy in his tracks.

2337203220033835012uCwYaq_ph_zpsf7ydsez9

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

another newer option that's out now is the Smith & Wesson Victory.  not time tested but they know what they're doing.  few pistol guys at the gun club have already picked up those.

I have been watching that gun for a while but they haven't put it on sale. I also liked the Beretta neos but damn is it ugly.

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The Beretta Neos may be a little strange looking, but they are very accurate, and versitile with the interchangable barrels. I love mine.

Yeah, John, but as I recall you like ENCORES, too, which IMHO is one of the ugliest guns ever made...<<grin>>...

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure do, along with ARs and variable scopes :yes:

AAAAUUUUUUUGH !!!......Good Lord, somebody give me a CRUCIFIX !!

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure do, along with ARs and variable scopes :yes:

• Like 1

If I had a DOG that ugly, I'd shave his azz and make him walk backwards !!   One redeeming factor...The stock is made of WOOD, not Tupperware...PLYWOOD, perhaps, but it's still wood, and I do like  laminates, as long as they're not purple or orange or some other gaudy color..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The Beretta Neos may be a little strange looking, but they are very accurate, and versitile with the interchangable barrels. I love mine.

No doubt those interchangeable barrels are nice but damn they are ugly. Looks like something out of a Star Trek/Star Wars parody.