gun broker?

or buying guns online i never did it.i understand the ffl to ffl.But how do you know if it's a good gun.i looked at a rifle in a gun shop a few days ago looked good went back today to buy it,but when i took out the mag and looked in with a flashlight it was rusted,How would that work if i bought it on line? i remember reading about someone having a problem i think it was on this site.i always used gun broker for price checks but it sure would be easier to buy one online.so hows it work?

The only problem I had with guns was new guns being.junk.

Everything old I bought online has been great.  Including blackpowder items.

You could ask for more pictures.  Typically private owners have been great online.  A good rated gun shop should be ok.  Pawn shops might be more of a toss up.

A bit of.rust inside is not rare.  If it's a deep woods gun, it'll be dropped scratched sank in a creek.  They get abused.

Thanks for the post I forgot to double check my 870 Remington.  I fell through ice up in the adirondack's  while rabit hunting.  Always bring a way to clean the barrel and some wd40.  I have those small otis kits.

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 2

I've bought off forums and online sites (gunbroker,guns international); many reputable sellers give a 3 day non firing inspection period starting when it hits the FFL. Shipping costs on your dime if you return.

Did have small issue with one gun and seller reached an agreement with me for price correction (missing tool standard with the gun when bought new).

Some good positive feedback is there for a reason when doing your homework.

• Like 1

Most guys on gunbroker have been upfront about conditions of the gun.

I try to send a few messages back and forth to get a feel for the seller. If they respond quickly, if they add some info besides just answering the question, or do they act like they are being bothered. If I get a bad vibe from the guy then I don't care how good the deal is I drop it. Only had it happen twice in 15 years after plenty of purchases

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I did get into trouble for buying a gun for a friend. As soon as I asked him to ship to an FFL in North Carolina the guy flipped out, called it a "straw purchase". I didn't understand the problem, it was going to an FFL but I guess it's against the rules. We worked it out I had the friend create an account and buy the rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought and sold many firearms on Gunbroker.com.  Ask lots of questions about things not mentioned in the listing and check the sellers feedback.  Feedback will let you know if the guns he's sold prior were making his buyers happy or not.

• Like 1

I bought a ruger carbine (semi) off of gb. The seller was a pawn shop. Lots of picks, but when i got it it was so full of ash, dirt, and gunk the action wouldnt open. Since these guns are few around here and it was 1/2 the price of the others I jad been watching (for well over a year) I didnt question it from the seller or gb. A better part of a week to diassemble, clean, and reassemble is been without a doubt the handiest, reliable goto gun in my safe. It ugly but I would say I would roll the dice with gb again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The thing to watch on GB is the added fees. If you buy and have to pay tax,shipping and an ffl fee you might not be saving as much as you thought. If you buy from somewhere where you don't pay tax shipping is reasonable and you don't have to pay much for the transfer than you can save money. The ffl fees can be crazy, someone said that a shot near us was 25$ I haven't payed more than 10$. Just watch the fees because they'll add up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used to search out what was for sale by people nearby.  Used to be able to drive over to their place and buy privately with cash.  Really saved a lot of money on shipping and didn't need the FFL to transfer.  You can still shop local, but need to have an FFL do the transfer.  Many sellers have made arrangements for that to accommodate local buyers. 

• Like 1