Ticks in the ADKs

sailinghudson25

I picked close to a hundred off a buck killed in Lewis county last fall, and pinched all their heads off.   That was on the NW corner of the Adirondack park.  That will probably be the last one I haul home and butcher myself from up there.   There are several processors in that area who will cut up and package a deer for under $50.  That is well worth it to me, just so I don't have to deal with the ticks or risk spreading them around back home in north-western NY, where I have never seen one.  I have seen two or three on deer from south-western NY, but never anything close to the number found on that north-western Adirondack buck   After seeing that, I can't believe I did not get any on myself, after 14 days of hunting up there last fall, with no chemical protection.    

I'm not sold on chicsl protection. ....

Seen many dance on deep woods off deet.

Seen many dance on me with permetherin.

I do mechanical protection.  I buy bug guard clothes from cabelas.  It disconitnued.  Basically spandex.  I also have tick gaiters.   I strip down right in the parking spot.  Put the clothes in a bag.  Wash them right away. 

I mainly stand hunt before goid frosts.  Stalk hunt after.    Big moose area of ADKS is my free place. No worries so far.  Pheasant hunting is not worth the bother i am very sad to say that.....

not sure how but i seem to not get many at all on me.  i use compression layers in the fall though.  compression heat gear in the spring.  throughout warmer months family and i have been using Avon Skin so Soft Xpedition sunscreen/bug spray which also repels ticks.  I bought Sawyers Permethrin years ago and have yet to open it.  Just doing habitat work removing invasive growth from DEC grasslands and didn't get a single one on me.

not sure how but i seem to not get many at all on me.  i use compression layers in the fall though.  compression heat gear in the spring.  throughout warmer months family and i have been using Avon Skin so Soft Xpedition sunscreen/bug spray which also repels ticks.  I bought Sawyers Permethrin years ago and have yet to open it.  Just doing habitat work removing invasive growth from DEC grasslands and didn't get a single one on me.

I'm the same way, I can walk beside people and they'll get covered and I won't have any. I've had a ton on my clothes and a few crawling but never had one attached. I must be bitter or something. I do use permithrin but not as often as I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

habitat work?

the state land is maintain as native grasslands to support bird species, turkey, raptors, owls, etc.  ...it even supports a pheasant population.  i know because we were hearing roosters non-stop.  there's invasive bush honeysuckle, buckthorn, and some others that slowly taking over. anything that isn't mowed.  we were removing them so they don't take over and choke out native species that better supports the wildlife there.  all volunteered services and equipment so it saved DEC money too.