Rifle Deer Hunting in Ontario Cty is dead

Doc

After being successfully voted through by the Ontario County government and getting screwed up in Albany both times, on the third attempt the anti-rifle forces convinced the Board of Supervisors to kill the whole idea. And so the latest vote, the idea was voted down. I guess there will be no relief for me from my old 12 guage shoulder-mangler....lol.

This whole thing has been similar to watching a Keystone Cops movie. These people along with the state government just never seemed to be able to pass some simple legislation without totally fouling it up.......twice. Well, by the third time they tried to get it through, the non-hunting public finally got wind of what was going on and kind of grabbed their town supervisors and gave them an earful.

Honestly, I guess I really don't care since I had mixed feelings about the safety aspect here anyway. But I sure was ready to retire that old bruiser of a shotgun and take up something that was a bit more user-friendly. My prediction now is that it is a dead issue forever here in Ontario County. I really don't think the issue will ever see another chance that was as good as the two failed attempts that it has already had.

Doc

• 2 months later...

After being successfully voted through by the Ontario County government and getting screwed up in Albany both times, on the third attempt the anti-rifle forces convinced the Board of Supervisors to kill the whole idea. And so the latest vote, the idea was voted down. I guess there will be no relief for me from my old 12 guage shoulder-mangler....lol.

This whole thing has been similar to watching a Keystone Cops movie. These people along with the state government just never seemed to be able to pass some simple legislation without totally fouling it up.......twice. Well, by the third time they tried to get it through, the non-hunting public finally got wind of what was going on and kind of grabbed their town supervisors and gave them an earful.

Honestly, I guess I really don't care since I had mixed feelings about the safety aspect here anyway. But I sure was ready to retire that old bruiser of a shotgun and take up something that was a bit more user-friendly. My prediction now is that it is a dead issue forever here in Ontario County. I really don't think the issue will ever see another chance that was as good as the two failed attempts that it has already had.

Doc

Doc, try a 20 guage. I hear the bolt action Savage slug gun is awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Looks like the Ontario County Rifle Bill has legs again............

Rifle bills introduced in Albany New York

Posted on May 3, 2012

Captiol%20-%20New%20York.jpgAlbany — Several more counties would become part of the state’s rifle hunting zone for big game under legislative proposals introduced this year.

Whether the bills – which would add Albany, Rockland, Cayuga and part of Ontario County to the state’s rifle zone – advance beyond the committee stage remains to be seen.

State Sen. Neil D. Breslin, D-Albany, introduced the Albany County rifle bill (S6849), which was referred to the senate environmental conservation committee for review. Breslin’s bill would allow rifles for big game everywhere within the county except the bowhunting-only portion of the county – Wildlife Management Unit 4J, a heavily populated area which includes the city of Albany.

“Advances in shooting technology with regard to shotguns, including the use of rifled shotgun barrels and specialized ammunition, have given shotguns ballistic characteristics similar to that of rifles,” Breslin wrote in the bill.

Assemblywoman Annie Rabbitt, R-Greenwood Lake, sponsored the Rockland county legislation (A6591), which was also referred to the assembly’s environmental conservation committee.

In Cayuga County, Assemblyman Brian Kolb, R-Canandaigua, was the chief sponsor of the bill (A9638). There is also a Senate companion bill (S6801).

“Since 2005, several counties in the Finger Lakes Region, Central New York and the Southern Tier have been allowed to permit hunting of deer and bear with rifles,” Kolb wrote in a memo attached to the bill. “There have been very few reported adverse incidents or problems. Given the rural nature of Cayuga County and the safety record of hunters in the counties where rifle hunting has been permitted, it would be reasonable to now permit rifle hunters in Cayuga County the same opportunities.”

The Cayuga County bill also sits in the environmental conservation committee.

Michael Nozzolio, R-Fayette, is the sponsor of the Ontario County bill (S2975), which if approved would allow rifle hunting in the portion of the county south of State Route 20.

Several counties have been added to the state’s rifle zone in recent years. At times, the legislation was approved after the DEC’s hunting regulations guide was printed for that season, forcing the state to attempt to get word out to hunters of the approval of rifle use. But officials said the problem wasn’t a major one since the rifle bills’ passage creates a less restrictive situation.

Rifles are now allowed in all of the state’s Northern Zone, as well as the Southern Zone counties of Orange, Rensselaer, Sullivan, Ulster, Columbia, Greene, Delaware, Chenango, Cortland, Otsego, Schoharie, Montgomery, Madison, Tioga,

Chemung, Schuyler, Yates, Steuben, Allegany and Cattaraugus and Wyoming counties. Rifles are also allowed in a portion of eastern Broome County, the southern portion of Chautauqua County, as well as the sections of Washington,

Herkimer, Fulton, Oneida and Oswego counties which lie in the Southern Zone.

Does this include the whole southern portion of Ontario County south of Rt. 20 or are there other boundries?

As I understand it, it is anything south of route 20. Although, you have to wonder about cities like Canandaigua and Geneva, both of which have routes 5 & 20 running right through them, and have some suburban type areas south of that route.

You would hope that common sense would prevail with both the sportsman and City leaders.

Maybe limiting chamberings to 243Win. or less would be the answer. (we all know they aren't very effective outside of 100 yards or so) :bye: