Apple Tree ID??????

I have 11 apple trees that my dad raised up from seeds and I'm hoping to get them in the ground this spring, however I dont know the type. I remember the tree we got the seeds from and they are not crab apples because the fruit was much smaller. The ripe apple was the size of a large chestnut or large cherry (very tiny). Can anyone ID these apple trees for me?

Sounds like a crabapple to me.. but if they were from seed they could be a cross of a few different types. Crabapples are about the sise of a quarter with a long attached stem that may or may not be slightly flattened usually the fruit has a waxy covering, true apples .have a short stem and are usually larger in the size of the fruit. the only way to get the same apple or crabapple tree is to graft, the seeds are the result of polination and who knows where the pollen came from? An example would be the granny smith apple it is a cross of R.I. greenings and yellow delicious. btu in the wild pollon can come from a number of distant sources(as far as a bee want s to fly) plat your trees within 50yards or so of each other or close to other apples/crabapples to ensure polination.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a dwarf hybrid? Except I don't think their fruit is crab size.

I think most crab trees, usually acorn size fruit yellowish or reddish. And then I see alot of decorative crabs, I think they are crabs the fruit is red, like you said wild cherry size.

Side note: If you can keep the damn tent catipilars off them they look great and usually produce well. Bounced a few back to life just from destroying the nests with a long stick.

Those tent caterpillers really mess up a tree . I had tried spraying our crab apple tree but it didn't help much . I fastened a bernzomatic torch to a pole and burned up the nest and then anything crawling . You could hear the little ba$tards screaming !!!

• 2 weeks later...

overpopulation, starvation,predation, and parasites...at least that's what the dec told me...

Its a population cycle. They build up to a point where the population collapses due to the above factors. Happens with all of them i.e. eastern tent, forest tent, and gypsy moth. It would happen that way with deer turkey etc if there was not more outside influence from game managers.

To the OP if you get me a couple pics of the trees you have i will ID them or if i cant i will have them ID by one of the guys that works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed a nice crabbapple starting to bud up today.

It got me thinking afternoons durring spring turkey might be a good time to plant a tree or two. I mean I'll be at camp, pickaxe - shovel, something to burn an hour or two. I think there would be a stress - growth period after planting so I wouln't expect a handfull of fruit untill the next year.  :-\