Turkey Vest Recommendations

Marion

Being as I have usually hunted with the landowner where I Turkey hunt I never really needed anything other than my camo and shotgun as he did all the calling for us. Now that I hunt primarily alone in my blind I figured its time to find a better way to carry all my stuff. With all my calls and such I am running out of pockets to hold everything and it may be time for a dedicated vest. So what is everyone using these days?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

About ten years ago I bought and returned two or three turkey vest that I wasn't happy with.  I'm still using my 1982 Duxbak Grand Slam vest, designed by the one and only Dick Kirby.  It has been sewed up many times and carried a few gobblers.  Retro camo to boot. :)

Good luck in your quest!

Turk11-1.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

• Like 1

I have a cheap vest that I have used for a couple decades.  But most of my calls and other expensive stuff goes in a fanny pack that I got from Beans.  I manage to lose stuff like shells and pot strikers out of my vest but never have lost anything from my fanny pack.  I'm happy with this arrangement, works very well for me.

I have a cheap vest that I have used for a couple decades.  But most of my calls and other expensive stuff goes in a fanny pack that I got from Beans.  I manage to lose stuff like shells and pot strikers out of my vest but never have lost anything from my fanny pack.  I'm happy with this arrangement, works very well for me.

Sounds like fanny pack may be the best option. I just need somewhere other than my pants pockets lol

Trouble is, you can't carry a 20 pound gobbler in a fanny pack....An important  feature of the utility of a good vest  the ability to carry your bird out in relative comfort, especially if you hunt rough country a couple miles from the road...Carrying a big bird over your shoulder gets old real fast..A turkey sling helps, but you end up with blood all over your clothes and it still it harder than using a good vest. It also is handy for carrying extra gear like decoys, water bottle, extra clothes, etc. This is not as big an issue if you hunt close to your truck or atv.

I wish I could help you with what vest to get, but I have only owned two ..the first one was a Duxbak Grand Slam like Lawdwaz had, and it served me well for many years before I finally gave up patching it together..The one I have now is a Bucklick Creek that I have had about 20 years..I really don't like it as well as my old Grand Slam, but it does the job.. They probably don't make that model anymore. It has sentimental value though, because a pretty girl helped me pick it out  at the NWTF National Convention in Columbus, Ohio about 20 years ago...<<smile>>.....

Trouble is, you can't carry a 20 pound gobbler in a fanny pack....An important  feature of the utility of a good vest  the ability to carry your bird out in relative comfort, especially if you hunt rough country a couple miles from the road...Carrying a big bird over your shoulder gets old real fast..A turkey sling helps, but you end up with blood all over your clothes and it still it harder than using a good vest. It also is handy for carrying extra gear like decoys, water bottle, extra clothes, etc. This is not as big an issue if you hunt close to your truck or atv.
I wish I could help you with what vest to get, but I have only owned two ..the first one was a Duxbak Grand Slam like Lawdwaz had, and it served me well for many years before I finally gave up patching it together..The one I have now is a Bucklick Creek that I have had about 20 years..I really don't like it as well as my old Grand Slam, but it does the job.. They probably don't make that model anymore. It has sentimental value though, because a pretty girl helped me pick it out  at the NWTF National Convention in Columbus, Ohio about 20 years ago...>.....

Luckily the farthest I ever have to walk to the car is usually a hundred yards. I am a lazy hunter with one property I hunt and aside from turkey hunting (his kids/son in law) maybe one weekend a season up by their house I am the only one that hunts anything there. Plus my setup is about a quarter mile down their driveway from thw house so we even if hunting thr samw time would be competing for different birds. It's great to have friends with tons of property and exclusive hunting rights.

In that case a fanny pack would probably suit you fine..A buddy of mine uses a military surplus shoulder bag that works well for him...Although I don't run and gun as much as when I was younger, some of my setups are  quite a distance from a road, so I'll keep using my vest.

Looks like mine is Mossy oak brand ?! Couldn't find any other label but that. I think it has some 53 pockets and I'm not even kidding. In a lull years back I rummaged thru it and found 3 different bug sprays. I've since put everything back into designated pockets and always know where each item is. I've never carried a bird out in the rear back pocket. The key is to tip one over with big hooks as it makes it easier to grab onto its feet with it slung over your back. And pulling that long azz piece of neon orange ribbon out of the inside pocket always feels rewarding to drape around me on the way out. Today's trend in vests seems to be more snug form fitting. My form isn't so conducive to this Ive been perusing some online but this one still works after many years. I carry way too much gear but I always have what I need.
Buckmaster just bought a new high tec vest. Curious to what he thinks of it.
The best thing I've done was to buy strut seats. They're a PITA to carry as straps are short but you can sit up against your tree all day long without a PITA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5502.JPG

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

This one is highly reviewed over on OG site. There was just a similar thread 02032b2b103e69797e562c7b492fc34f.jpg&key=580f2de99fc26f081373466f4dd2f99fdb517f917679d8419a70a928cb3a0346

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this one with the kickstand. I like it but ended up taking the kickstand off because I find myself leaning against trees all of the time and the kickstand limits your range and makes it nearly impossible to move side to side after setting up. Vest without it is great- couldn't be happier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2