Turkey calling videos and how to

turkeyfeathers

Daughter just mentioned she'd like to learn how to really call now. She's been out with me a bunch to learn most of the basics. Cadence , volume , what to say and when etc. Although I'm sure I throw the wrong stuff out there sometimes as we all probably do. She's used a push pin to call in tandem with me to try and bring the party to us. Her purring , clucks and such are pretty good. I'd like to buy her own slate as she wants to practice for next season. Ill rate my self as slightly better than average on calling so would like her to learn the best and easiest way. Im sure I'll also learn a lot. It took me hundreds and hundreds of hours of woods experience to get where I'm at. I plan on trying to get decent with a mouth call as well. I pretty much suck with that. All my calling is slate. Any tips , videos or if any of you would meet up to give us some of your secrets and styles would be greatly appreciated. I think if she could actually stay awake for most of the morning in the spring woods that both of us calling at different trees would be the cats meow. This sorta stemmed from The Real TC and I calling at the same time yesterday and thinking how can any bird resist. And daughter just said minutes ago " teach me to call better ". Season just ended but her comment has me excited already for next year. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

with a mouth call fit is everything.  don't feel timid about trimming the tapes on them.  she very well might need to.  back first then sides if you must.  tiny amounts at a time or you'll over do it.  most people don't care to hear your learning curve so practice in the truck/car on the way to somewhere when you're alone.  use a call that's said to be "easy to blow" that doesn't take a lot of air to make noise. I still really like the Team Primos Will Primos Signature call if i ever find it in a store. steer clear of the real raspy calls with multiple cuts when starting out.  any of theirs with the sonic dome doesn't work for me despite it's supposed to help.  They're great with instructional stuff.  Mastering the Art series Primos DVD's are good.  i've got DVD's somewhere collecting dust from years ago.  my effort to pursue turkey hunting endeavors have wanedin recent years.  just a busy time of year for me.  anyway, here's a link to their YouTube channel and a couple other links.  i've heard some crappy sounding real turkeys.  unless you're squeeking and stuff you're not really screwing it up.  nothing gets Tom's fired up just over the knoll like using a mouth call and friction call practically at the same time to sound like twice the lovin' that awaits.  hard part is keep consistently two different cadences and pitches.  i'm not a guru at all just what i've figured out so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPrkWzx--zCDqamRx-KU4W17EaRt5AsL1

http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/wild-turkey-basics/turkey-sounds

http://www.springthundertv.com/article_category/calling-techniques/

• Like 2

when i fit a mouth call, how consistent i can hold the leading note of a yelp by making an "SSSS" sound tells me if it's good to go or not.  that'll give you more control when you switch to "nu-nu", "clucks", "purs", and soft tree calling in real close.

I have had very good luck with the Sonic Dome calls.  I agree that calling in the car/truck can be a huge help.  As for how to, I like some of the Mossberg videos, but they focus on hunting mostly, not so much on calling.  

It's a bit hokey, but I grew up on a farm where we raised domestic turkeys, and it was a huge help in learning pitch, volume, and cadence.  Spending time around turkeys is a huge bonus.  

Glad you two get to hunt and spend time together.  That's awesome.  Staying awake is a big part of all hunting, but aren't they cute when they're asleep!

• Like 2