GPS helps in theft

papabear

For all of you that have GPS. with your HOME on it. I recommend you delete your address off of it and just place it in like a regular search .My buddy had his stolen in conn.and figured he was OK because it was out of state two months later his home was broken into they took every thing and left the GPS on his kitchen table with a THANK YOU note his neighbors saw a white van in his drive way for three hours that said Maid Service so they did not think any thing of it.

Papabear 

You put it in like a favorite in your web browser, you dont have to retype it or search around through your recent destinations.

Ive seen a similar email twice before as well. Think about it, why would your address in a GPS matter? Its not like your house is a secret or has a cloaking device lol.

I've never figured a GPS would be worth squat to me.  At 55, I've been around long enough to know how to find anything with an address and a map.  I can put an address in Mapquest and print out a map to find anything too.  I never ask Mapquest for directions, I pull up a map. 

With all the driving I've done over the years, I'm able to find a reference point on any map that allows me to plot a course to my destination without any trouble.

I've been in cars with GPS and find them very annoying.  I also have better ways to spend the money they ask for one of those things.  BTW, I don't need one in the woods either.  The Boy Scouts taught me years ago about map reading and orienting myself in the wild.  A GPS unit seems to be excess weight that I don't want to carry around.

did this happen to your friend perosnally? cause i got a pass around email a few years ago almost word for word what you wrote...

it does make sence and can happen..

Yes it did he never could read a map I tried to teach him you know north is all ways on top and so forth he gets lost easy so he got a GPS and place his fishing spots and hunting spots on it  him  and his wife went to Conn. to gamble and stopped to get gas on the way home when it was stolen from his car funny thing he had to get another one to get home too

papabear

Wow , to be so lucky as to know so much and never get lost .  ::)  The boy scouts taught you well .

I bought a GPS as a Toy to locate Geo Caches and find my way around state land that I am not familiar with and I also carry a compass .

I have a GPS in the car that helps me locate house numbers so I don't need to pull out a map . My wife has a GPS on her phone that shows our location and the route to take with milage and approximate time to reach our destination .

GPS's are fun to play around with .

p.s. ----- I don't need matches . I can start a fire with a couple of sticks ......... ???

Wow , to be so lucky as to know so much and never get lost .  ::)  The boy scouts taught you well .

I bought a GPS as a Toy to locate Geo Caches and find my way around state land that I am not familiar with and I also carry a compass .

I have a GPS in the car that helps me locate house numbers so I don't need to pull out a map . My wife has a GPS on her phone that shows our location and the route to take with milage and approximate time to reach our destination .

GPS's are fun to play around with .

p.s. ----- I don't need matches . I can start a fire with a couple of sticks ......... ???

I have never been lost....................................temporarily misplaced once or twice, but never lost. LMAO

I have a handheld GPS, but only use it when scouting or plotting locations for hunting season.

I think I just may change the location name on my swamp watch to "HOME", it is about 3.5 miles into no mans land, and 70+ miles from my house....................lol.

FDXX75

Actually, it's easier to start a fire with dry tinder and a magnifying glass on a sunny day, or a flinter to make sparks with, on a cloudy one.

It's best not to rely on any modern technology, because if everything falls apart in the future, your technology is going down too.  Best to learn map reading now so you can do it before you need it.

These days, it's hard to teach kids how to tell time on a clock because they like digital read outs.  I fear many skills a man should know as general knowledge are fading away with each generation.

The question was asked but not answered ....... What possible benefit would the GPS location of your house be to a burglar? Is there anything there that a telephone book and map doesn't supply? What am I missing here?

Doc

For all of you that have GPS. with your HOME on it. I recommend you delete your address off of it and just place it in like a regular search .My buddy had his stolen in conn.and figured he was OK because it was out of state two months later his home was broken into they took every thing and left the GPS on his kitchen table with a THANK YOU note his neighbors saw a white van in his drive way for three hours that said Maid Service so they did not think any thing of it.

Papabear

I guess my biggest question would be, why steal the GPS in the first place if they wound up leaving it behind??????? Secondly, why travel out of state to some unknown location that could very well be an apartment building or a POS run down trailer someplace. Seems like an awful lot of work just to rob those folks.

Hell, most robbers aren't that damn ambitious...........................hit and run tactic is the way to roll.

FDXX75

When the got the GPS in another state, that told them nobody is at home in your house.  Knowing that, they can shoot over there quick and maybe rob it without fear, so they will try it.

This can also happen when someone gets robbed of their wallet and keys.  You DL has your address and they may have your house key.  It's a good idea to inform your local PD at home the minute you get robbed of anything that makes your home address available to the thieves.

When the got the GPS in another state, that told them nobody is at home in your house.  Knowing that, they can shoot over there quick and maybe rob it without fear, so they will try it.

This can also happen when someone gets robbed of their wallet and keys.  You DL has your address and they may have your house key.  It's a good idea to inform your local PD at home the minute you get robbed of anything that makes your home address available to the thieves.

They got robbed two wks later.........................................

FDXX75

So they cased the house for awhile.  What type of car do they drive Papabear?  If it is an expensive car, the thieves may have checked out the house as well.

Home burglars use all types of info to determine when a house may be unoccupied.  Many people have been robbed when they were at a close relative's funeral, and often muggers will rob your house while you are giving police a report about the mugging.

Play it safe and alert the local PD anytime you think it may get robbed because someone got the address in a crime.  It couldn't hurt, and the cops won't mind.

They got robbed two wks later.........................................

FDXX75

That would be 2 months later lol. Who cases someones house, in another state, for 2 months. I am calling BS.

While this story may or may not be true. It makes perfect sense and can definitely happen. I know ive read things that state you should not have your house in your GPS, but instead put something in your general area, that is close enough to your house that you know how to get there the rest of the way, but if a burglar follows it, he will find nothing but a rite aid parking lot OR a nearby Police Station.

this is what happen they stop to get gas in Conn. he went in to pay she went to get snacks when they came back the GPS was gone they got in to the house thought a back window they can not remember if they left the window open or not

he had to get another GPS to get home he can not read a map and cant tell north from south he will not leave this one in the car and will not place his home address in the spot made for it he now has a gas station address there that is about a mile from his home

papabear