Where to find leases

sethf11

Curious as to where everyone goes to find leases advertised. I'm in the Southern Adirondacks area and can't find much of anything at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What is the going rate in NY as well? I know it varies greatly on quality and size of land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basecamp is the only leasing website I can recall that covers NY. The prices on there are all over the place and some of it seems way over priced. Not to mention there's a couple percent increase in price each year to boot.

I do see some leases advertised on Craigslist from time to time. So keep an eye out on there for any.

And the cheapest route is to find an area you want to be in and pull up the tax maps and start door knocking. Offering cash could help get you permission on land that the owners never thought about leasing before, especially older folks.

Good luck

• Like 1

Basecamp is the only leasing website I can recall that covers NY. The prices on there are all over the place and some of it seems way over priced. Not to mention there's a couple percent increase in price each year to boot.

I do see some leases advertised on Craigslist from time to time. So keep an eye out on there for any.

And the cheapest route is to find an area you want to be in and pull up the tax maps and start door knocking. Offering cash could help get you permission on land that the owners never thought about leasing before, especially older folks.

Good luck

I actually go now and knock on doors and ask just haven't offered money before. Guess I should start. Maybe a few hundred even will get me permission. Who knows. Maybe I'll find a buddy and go halves even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from what i have seen, the rate is about $14 an acre in most places i have seen in CNY.  But the best way is to ask around.  Ask people you know if anyone owns any land. A lot of farms get asked but if you can catch the people that have like 40-80 acres a lot of them dont get asked by people.  Best way is word of mouth for sure.  Springtime is a great time to ask before season when people are outside.  And often people are more open to bowhunting access than gun. Door to door locally and let them know you are a neighbor sure helps.  

I split a lease with 2 friends and it was word of mouth.   A guy i know, but didnt realize he had that much land.  We also are sure to give him some venison and a 12 pack after season too.