Interesting NYODN

growalot

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

They are for Antlerless only UNLESS the damage can be attributed to bucks. A prime example if a nursery or an orchard. thousands of dollars in losses can happen in a night during the antler rubbing time period. 

Good! Several replies here made it sound like trophy hunting was a problem with the current rules. But if they are antlerless-only, that cannot really be a problem. So why hunters using nuisance permits would be passing does and waiting for trophy deer really doesn't make any sense, does it?

• Like 2

I was on a nuisance permit that allowed the killing of either sex, however the antlers from any buck had to be turned over to DEC....another one I was on was issued to the property owner because the deer destroyed thousands of dollars in landscaping, ornamental shrubs and the like...that was on an Estate that was maybe 5 or so acres.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

They are for Antlerless only UNLESS the damage can be attributed to bucks. A prime example if a nursery or an orchard. thousands of dollars in losses can happen in a night during the antler rubbing time period. 

The only time I have ever been involved with nuisance permits was on a Xmas tree farm that was friends of my wife's family. I asked if I would help and I did. The family only wanted bucks shot because it was rubbing on the trees that was costing them money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Doc said:

It sounds like there really isn't any consistency to the program. Everybody's got a different story about how the nuisance permit system worked for them.

I bet they can tailor the program to the area and damage. I can also see a land owner imposing restrictions on the people they are allowing to fill the permits. For instance, if I had land and DDP's I could require all the hunters to donate the deer.  I could mandate daytime shootign only even thought the permit may allow use of lights. Make no mistake, these are not hunting permits.  These are permits to kill and remove the cause of the damage. Many times the approaches we detest as hunters are employed. I bowed out of one spot doing this because the permits started in like June. There was one instance that a guy I was with shot a doe and there was an unborn fawn in the doe. It was not something I could stomach. 

This is from the DEC's page

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/104956.html