What to plant..

So my clover plot was neglected due to other duties this year. The majority of it is overgrown.

Going to take a mower and rack it up as high as it will go. And mow it down.

What can I throw out there to over seed this late in the season?

Also going to throw more lime and fertilizer out.. only a small 1/8 acre plot in woods. Shaded for half the day.

Thanks for any suggestions... I'd like to just get some farm seed instead of an overpriced bag of deer food.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think growalot overseeds brassica in situations like that.  I never tried it but might this year because I have a surplus of purple-top turnip seed and lots of old weedy clover acreage.  Brassicas are very tasty to deer after a hard frost, when clover looses most of its attraction.  That might make for some good late season kill-plots.  The brassicas should do well with all the nitrogen that is banked in the ground from the clover.            

22 minutes ago, E J said:

I have thrown winter wheat or winter rye over clover plots in late August just before a rain in the past and had good luck.

That is another good suggestion and I also have a surplus of WW (it was only $ 8 a bag at Rineharts in Middleport), so I will definitely have to give that one a try.    The good thing about the brassicas or the wheat is that anything above ground that is not eaten off by the deer thru hunting season and winter can be mowed down in the late spring with a bushog.  The nitrogen that it sucks out of the ground in the meantime will make it tougher on the grass competition to the clover next year.