Big bag of clover

Ladino is good, but White Dutch is better for deer.  Red clovers establish faster, but whites stand up to browsing better.  My vote is for White Dutch clover.  I have found very good prices and varieties from an online store called "The Dirty Gardener". They offer raw seed, innoculated seed, and Nitro coated seed.  They claim to bag alot of seed weekly, so that their seed an innoculants are fresh.  I used it in a couple of plots this year and had very good germination rates.

6 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

My local agway isn't a great deal on clover.

Thinking of buying a big bag.

I manage abut 2.5 acres of clover.  That's around 150lbs a year plus I usually do a friend or twos bow plot.

If you bought 1 clover what would it be?

I usually do both red and ladino.

150lbs???? 

Not all ladino clovers are the same. There are many whites available...I hsve used several over the years. I reslly like  jumbo  white, kopu ll .  Now your best betbwould be to go to dites like Welter seed and honey  and Hancock seed. They give excellent discriptions and SEEDING RATES..I also prefer to mix some reds into the whites....

Dang that's a lot of seed!! You could Seed 15+ acres with that much!

I've tried 3 different types of clover so far. Whitetail institutes Fusion blend, deer creek seeds white Dutch and cabelas brand clover. Last year I did the WI and deer creek stuff and due to drought I don't think either one performed to its fullest potential. But deer creeks clover faired much better in the drought. I frost seeded the cabelas brand seed this spring and it's done very very well.

Ladino is ok, but gets tall.  Deer cannot digest the stem well, so a shorter clover is better for them.  With that said, it depends on how big a plot.  In a small plot, a shorter stemmed clover will provide better forage and stand up to browsing better.  A blend will help your plot succeed in a a variety of conditions.  I planted White Dutch, Ladino, and Medium Red clovers.  I couldn't get my hands on any Alsike clover, which is supposed to handle wet soil better than other clovers.

BTW...I do not know what shipping will do to costs...but these look like some darn good prices if ordered right Just found them...There is a trick to ordering seed with shipping costs...you can usually get 20-25 pounds in a flat rate USPS box. Companies can be helpful in this..if not move on,their loss:wink: Turnip pricing is good

https://www.valleyplots.com/product-page/white-dutch-clover