Early goose anyone going?

BigVal

23 hours ago, sodfather said:

We had layouts. And next time counting you and Feathers in . Should be a good laugh

Layouts are a problem for me now...

I have no problem lying down, but sitting up to shoot is a PROBLEM...And it's hard to swing the shotgun lying flat on my back..

• Like 1

We killed 23 by 8 o'clock and got in a pissing match with the guys that thought they could set up and hunt my spread with us in our field, so that's it for the day lol. Hunting water tomorrow

It's a shame what goose hunting has become...have had more run ins for geese than all other hunting combined including public land pheasant. Guys camping in fields, putting scares out so birds go elsewhere, leasing the place for a day, refusing to leave..its awful and getting worse w th pile pics on fb and guide services out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, gjs4 said:

It's a shame what goose hunting has become...have had more run ins for geese than all other hunting combined including public land pheasant. Guys camping in fields, putting scares out so birds go elsewhere, leasing the place for a day, refusing to leave..its awful and getting worse w th pile pics on fb and guide services out there.

It's like this every September cause it's the first season of the fall. Wait till October and 3/4 of them will be in a tree stand 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gjs4 said:

Completely agree with you, I am part of the "young" generation of goose hunters being 23 but I have seen some awful stuff getting worse yearly. A few guys I've hunted with will not be invited back either as they pull bs to hunt a field no matter what it takes. A few fields I've pulled up on this season (which I've hunted in the past) had guys from Pennsylvania sitting on them staking claim for opening weekend, come to find out they never even talked to the owners. What a shame. 

I'm lucky to have some good fields and decent knowledge of the area I hunt and really don't post up pics anywhere because of that reason.

Edited by BigVal

Completely agree with you, I am part of the "young" generation of goose hunters being 23 but I have seen some awful stuff getting worse yearly. A few guys I've hunted with will not be invited back either as they pull bs to hunt a field no matter what it takes. A few fields I've pulled up on this season (which I've hunted in the past) had guys from Pennsylvania sitting on them staking claim for opening weekend, come to find out they never even talked to the owners. What a shame. 
I'm lucky to have some good fields and decent knowledge of the area I hunt and really don't post up pics anywhere because of that reason.

I started in the mid 90s- permission wasn't an issue...they'd beg you. Lots of guys w sticker clad trucks and enclosed trailers, few grand in dekes... looking for some GoPro footage a pile pic for social media. Man has it changed. Slobs too- leaving fields rutted or a mess - then no one can hunt there again. Let alone the crap they do to potential other hunters. Sad sad sad deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjs4 said:

I started in the mid 90s- permission wasn't an issue...they'd beg you. Lots of guys w sticker clad trucks and enclosed trailers, few grand in dekes... looking for some GoPro footage a pile pic for social media. Man has it changed. Slobs too- leaving fields rutted or a mess - then no one can hunt there again. Let alone the crap they do to potential other hunters. Sad sad sad deal.

Yes sir very sad. One of my passions too.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BigVal said:

Final weekend- going to do the unthinkable tomorrow lol and hunt the known roosting spot. Then to the fields for at least one hunt on the weekend. 

The owners of the field I hunt sent me a picture of about 100 birds in it but the thought of being in a layout in 85 degree weather doesn't have me overexcited. Good luck to ya this weekend post some pics up to let us know how ya did on those sky rats 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sodfather said:

The owners of the field I hunt sent me a picture of about 100 birds in it but the thought of being in a layout in 85 degree weather doesn't have me overexcited. Good luck to ya this weekend post some pics up to let us know how ya did on those sky rats 

I hear ya on that one, and will do hopefully it'll pay off.