Trying Rage 2 blade chisel tip

chas0218

19 hours ago, chas0218 said:

I'm shooting a 26.5" arrow at 62lbs. draw. with a 318gr. arrow I was chronographed at 300 fps. If you do the math estimating 15fps drop based on the 75 gr. of added arrow weight it is right around 71 ft.lbs. of kinetic energy.

That is a giant hole, My little 3 blades would never make a hole near that although I had a hole almost 2" wide with a hard quartering away shot.

My arrows aren't remotely close to that weight and don't plan to go that heavy, hopefully they will still work for me.

Are the 3 blade legal in NY? I have heard good things about the grim reapers, I was going to go with the QAD Exodus and still might if these don't work out. My buddy said he will buy them off me if I don't like them. I got a killer deal on a set of 24 rages for $25 no box.

Good to hear, I have heard a lot of horror stories about Rage BHs not sure if it is because so many use them or just because they don't work. I have a few friends that bowhunt and rage is all they use. They too have used them for years and haven't had any complaints.

I just watched a video last night about properly setting the shock collars on these broadheads, since they went away from rubber O ring style.. Found out I've been aligning the shock collars with the blades the wrong way but I've never had one fail. I always lined the slits in the collars with the blades so they opened easier, and they always opened, never an issue and they never pre opened inside a quiver. I guess your supposed to line blades up (where its solid plastic) between the 2 slits in the Shock collars. Damn directions lol ...  So just read the directions quick on the proper collar alignment.

If i am going to use a mechanical broad head, it has to be a slip cam style. Cut on contact tip, slices on entry and exit.. Like a rage Hypo... Not one that relies on deer hide to open blades and rotate them around so they can cut.. I dont like that philosophy at all... JMO

3 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

If i am going to use a mechanical broad head, it has to be a slip cam style. Cut on contact tip, slices on entry and exit.. Like a rage Hypo... Not one that relies on deer hide to open blades and rotate them around so they can cut.. I dont like that philosophy at all... JMO

You're describing rear-deploy vs forward opening one. I have been using forward opening and the last deer I hit had zero blood trail within any area I could find. Losing a deer is one thing, but not having any blood trail is BS. A cut on contact broad head will start bleeding immediately. So will a rear-deploy BH like the Rage (heck, even if it doesn't open it will still have it). I blame losing this deer first and foremost on it not hitting the right part of the deer, but I feel my forward opening BH must have opened up inside, leaving a neat hole where it entered. I just don't want that to happen again, so I'm moving away from those heads.

• Like 1

I switched from fixed to mechanicals when Rage introduced the chisel tip heads.  I am very happy with them, I currently have (4) functioning heads, and a handfull of the practice tips.  I have replaced the blades on heads that have killed deer, and they are still just fine.  Two of the other heads I had did break, and they were thrown out.  The Rage punch a hell of a hole in a deer.  Enjoy!

1 minute ago, Core said:

You're describing rear-deploy vs forward opening one. I have been using forward opening and the last deer I hit had zero blood trail within any area I could find. Losing a deer is one thing, but not having any blood trail is BS. A cut on contact broad head will start bleeding immediately. So will a rear-deploy BH like the Rage (heck, even if it doesn't open it will still have it). I blame losing this deer first and foremost on it not hitting the right part of the deer, but I feel my forward opening BH must have opened up inside, leaving a neat hole where it entered. I just don't want that to happen again, so I'm moving away from those heads.

Completely! My terminology sucks as you can see. I used forward oening years ago, lost one deer to what i believe a very good, penetration sucked and no blood or deer was discovered"(yes i was like 17 yrs). IMO Rear deploying is best for a mechanical head and a 1 piece construction for a coc solid head. cant beat either. Like a 3 blade montec g5 or something of the sort, or a nice sharp 2 blade head. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jmp209 said:

I personally won't ever use them again. I've had mostly bad experiences with rage. I got a pass through on a bear a few years ago with a regular rage 2 blade and it only made it about 125 yards before piling up but it took me hours to trail it that far because of the lack of blood. That's the best experience I had with them. I switched to the chisel tip and shot a buck at 15 yards. It sounded like a solid hit but the deer only went a few yards out of range and stood there looking back for a couple minutes before snorting and taking off. I searched all over for any sign of a hit and scoured the direction he went with no sign of hair, blood or anything. A year later I found my arrow about 200 yards from where I'd shot, in the direction the deer took off. It had to have gotten next to no penetration and just stuck in him for that distance before falling out. I shot a buck again last year with them and ended up being a little far back, in the liver. This shot was from the ground so no extreme angle and through a relatively easy part of the body to get penetration. Arrow barely poked through the other side. With the exact same setup, only shooting a muzzy instead of rage I've never had a deer stop an arrow. That's just my personal experience with them, I'm sure others have nothing but praise for them.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Bear are notorious for lack of blood trail, very common to have the holes plug with fat...as far as a great hit and having the deer stop and start snorting at you? I would question the hit or lack thereof for that one, not the broadhead....but I wasn’t there so only worth so much.

Bear are notorious for lack of blood trail, very common to have the holes plug with fat...as far as a great hit and having the deer stop and start snorting at you? I would question the hit or lack thereof for that one, not the broadhead....but I wasn’t there so only worth so much.
I don't blame the broadhead for lack of blood on the bear, the incision it made was incredible and it didn't travel a great distance after the shot. It did it's job. The deer I shot at 15 yards was odd. When I shot I never saw where the arrow struck before he spun around and bounded just out of range. And I never said it sounded like a great hit, I said it sounded solid. Which to me is no indication of shot placement. He stood for about a minute before snorting and taking off in the direction he came from. I searched all over the place for a couple hours with no indication of a hit at all. But I couldn't find my arrow anywhere past where the deer was standing either. A year later I found the arrow with the shock collar broke and the blades deployed a couple hundred yards from the shot. Not necessarily the fault of the broadhead but I personally will not use them again.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I've used rage the first yr they came out, and still do.  Shot a couple dozen deer with them and two bear. I'm only pulling 50#, and Most shots were pass through.  Did loose two deer over the yrs, but those were my fault. First hit the shoulder joint dead center. Had same results with a muzzy yrs ago. That joint is tuff.  Second loss was a deflected shot that hit center of the gut.  Lots of rain that night, and never found that deer. 

Great BH.  And tuff as nails..

I got my chisel tip 2-blade Rage going. The test head shoots very nicely. Can't tell a difference out to 50 yards with it.

I also today finally got to test the G5 Montec and I love it. Out to 50 I couldn't discern an impact difference with field points. I'd never shot fixed before and was worried about how they'd fly, but no problems. I think I prefer them because as long as I can get them to hit where fields do (and it did), I need not worry one iota about the blades not opening properly, or the practice tip not being quite 100% the same as the actual heads, etc. 

Both the rage and montec, like my Torid SS i have been using, hiss through the air. No whistling, though.

Until/unless somebody can prove front-opening broadheads don't bleed more KE and/or leave blood trails similar to fixed or rear-opening, I'm done with them. Don't want to use them again, even though I do like the fact they expose even less blade surface to the air than other heads. My avatar is exactly what happens with front opening into a tree and I think they do the same thing in a deer. The entry hole just sucks. I know Swhackers are aware of this and address it by having the front tips sharpened to make at least some sort of an entrance cut.