Deep Woods Rifle

pitweiler

I hunt similar terrain, in the Adirondacks, with a standard-size Ruger M77, 30/06 with 3-9 scope.  This rifle has got the job done, while sitting and "ambushing" deer, but is less than ideal for stillhunting.   I skipped opening day up there last year, because I was not confident with it in the wind-driven sleet/rain/snow.  To cover those conditions, I picked up a new Marlin 336 BL 30/30.   This one has a short, 16" barrel and open sights.   

This season, I will hunt with the Ruger in calm, fair-weather conditions that are more suited for "sit and ambush", but use the Marlin in high winds, rain, and snow (especially in combination), when I will spend more time still-hunting.  I am covered well on those extremes, but have a bit of a hole in the middle.  My next rifle will probably be a short-barreled Ruger American in .243, with  a 2-7 scope.  That could handle the "in-between" conditions.

For your situation, unless you are extremely confident in the .223, I would stick with your other two rifles.  Like Buckmaster says, that is not enough gun, on big northern deer, for other than broadside shots.  If it is calm and clear, I would go with the .243 and sit and ambush.  If it is windy, with rain/sleet/snow, then I would go with your 30/30.  Confidence in a rifle is very important.  I will never sell my 30/06, because it has cleanly killed every deer I have shot it at.  My 30/30 is unproven.  Hopefully, I can do something about that in a few weeks.          

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 12:16 AM, GreeneHunter said:

Curious .... I just ordered a  " Ohuhu Red Green Dot Gun Sight Scope Reflex Sight  " for my 30 30 ... anybody have any experience with these small sights ?

Nope, Ive always used a 3x9x40 scope, Vortex got it for about 149 and it has been great. And it doesnt look to big for the gun.

i picked up a 2.5X BSA scope that works great for my 30/30.  Its a cheap brand but havent had any issues with it.  There isnt a lot of recoil in a 30/30 but that scope sure helps out and fits and looks good on the gun. Got it thru Natchez to try it out for like $35. Brightens up the shot window in the big woods and has good eye relief. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:16 AM, GreeneHunter said:

Curious .... I just ordered a  " Ohuhu Red Green Dot Gun Sight Scope Reflex Sight  " for my 30 30 ... anybody have any experience with these small sights ?

I've had a few reflex sights[not that one] on a few shot guns and pistols.they never held poa not even on the .22  I went with a tube style instead two on shot guns and one on a pistol all sig sauer romeo 5

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-romeo-5-compact-red-dot-1x20mm-2-moa-dot-reticle-sor52001.html

In my opinion reflex sights shine on pistols and work well on a turkey gun. On a rifle they have all the drawbacks of an optic " fog, rain , snow, fragile etc" with little to no gains over a peep sight on a hunting rifle. Where a reflex shines on a rifle is multiple target engagement because you can shoot both eyes open and it makes target transition faster such as shooting competitions. I have tried them on deer rifles and I don't think they are worth it. I have never tried that brand but have leupolds, trijicon and aimpoints. From my experience if you don't want/need magnification you can't beat a quality peep sight unless you have vision issues that make using a peep difficult. In that case I think a low power scope is still a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Remington 85gr cor lots work great.

Far as the marlin is concerned, just removing the stock, clean and oil the internals will make that 336 trigger a ton better.  Remove the one screw clamping the stock to the action. Slide out the stock.  Then clean and oil.  Use a touch heavier oil if possible.  I typical use grease, but you need to take more things apart to get it that good.  You might not to venture that much, although a 336 is an easy gun to take apart.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:25 PM, pitweiler said:

Decided to roll with the 243. I have a few ammo options available. Has anyone used 85gr Trophy Copper (Federal) or 95gr Deer Season XP (Winchester)?

I use 95gr. SST they hit the deer pretty hard. Wife shot a nice 8 point high shoulder at 50 yards he rolled over backwards and laid hooves up, when I got there he was dead as a stone from the shot. Wife wasn't sure if he was dead. That was her first gun deer.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1