357 Mag backup

eagle rider

Ever since we started seeing the size and numbers of bears on our club land I decided it wasn't a bad idea to take my old service GP100 along when I'm in the woods.  Its a 4" barrel and I'm very good with it.  I was looking around for a suitable bear discourager that wasn't painfully expensive.  I settled on a 158 gr.  jsp made by Magtech.  The muzzle energy is 535 ft pounds.  I'm thinking six of those would do me just fine.  I opted not to go hollow point because I thought penetration would be better with the jacketed soft points.  Any thoughts or opinions on this?  

The ruger gp100 in a 5” barrel was high on my list of must have guns. 

The debate over the caliber for bear is long from the research I did back a few years ago. Some swaer by it other don’t. I’m no one to give an opinion on the caliber,but the gun is rock solid. 

• Like 1

Ever since we started seeing the size and numbers of bears on our club land I decided it wasn't a bad idea to take my old service GP100 along when I'm in the woods.  Its a 4" barrel and I'm very good with it.  I was looking around for a suitable bear discourager that wasn't painfully expensive.  I settled on a 158 gr.  jsp made by Magtech.  The muzzle energy is 535 ft pounds.  I'm thinking six of those would do me just fine.  I opted not to go hollow point because I thought penetration would be better with the jacketed soft points.  Any thoughts or opinions on this?  

I agree with your thought process. Isn't there someone who makes 357 mag ammo in hardcast. I shoot 220 grain hardcast, from Underwood ammo out of my Glock 20, and it hits animals like a ton of bricks. I agree with the penetration needed.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

This is something like I was talking about

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/357-magnum-180-grain-lead-flat-nose-gas-check/

• Like 2

If I ever had to defend myself against  any kind of bear with a handgun, I'd want the hardcast ammo..

However, the only time I would consider using a handgun would be if I somehow got separated from my much more effective primary weapon, my rifle or shotgun...I guess that's why you'd call it a backup, eh ?

I considered carrying a handgun when I was hunting Alaska and the presence of grizzlies made the threat of a bear attack a little more plausible, especially when packing meat or approaching a kill...I decided the extra weight wasn't worth it... I did take a .45 to keep under my pillow at night in case Ol' Leroy came into the tent at night and decided  I was a sandwich lying there in my sleeping bag, but I never carried it while hunting, because I had enough stuff to carry over the rough terrain...However, I never went anywhere without my rifle

You go to the creek to get some water, you carry your rifle...You go out back of the tent to answer the call of nature, you carry your rifle...

• Like 2

I think you could do better for your ammo choice, check out Buffalo Bore’s 180 grain hard cast outdoorsman load. 1400 FPS/ me 783 ft lbs.. not cheap but it is self defense ammo if you ever need it..

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

A pal and I were hunting in Alaska and the guide was admiring are 44mag. Revolvers. He politely asked why we were carrying them. My buddy spoke up and said just in case a griz charged him. The guide laughed and suggested he file the front sight down. My bud asked why guide replied so it won't hurt as much when the griz grabs it and shoves it up your arz.  No a true story just for fun :-)

• Like 2

I was reading about a warden who dealt with a wounded mountain lion in Washington State.  They were issued 357's. He said he finished the 160 pound tom with with three shots of FMJ ammo.  Wonder if the hardhats would be any better/more effective.

Fmj's and hardcast perform similar but hardcast will have a larger flat nose that tear bigger holes that a rounded FMJ.

My 10mm woods load is a 180gn hardcast with a large flat front At 1200fps. I have killed a couple deer with them and would have no problem hunting bear with them. One of the deer I shot was quartering to me it broke shoulder going in and was in the ham of the hind leg and broke back leg as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1