How was your crossbow season ?

wolc123

This was my fourth season, and best to date.   I hunted one of the three days in the NZ (the last 7 days up there don't count because ML is also legal then), and saw two antlerless deer that were well out of range as I was still-hunting between spots.   They saw me at the same time I saw them, and I was unable to close the range before they high-tailed it into cover.  I hunted five of the 14 days in the Southern zone and saw single antlered bucks on three of those days.   The second one was the largest of those, and also the only one that was in range.  He might be the heaviest buck that I have ever killed.   I think all the rain we had this year really helped them put on weight compared to the drought we had last year.   The 2-1/2 year old, busted up 5-point that I killed this season measured 43" girth around the chest, behind the front legs.    That amounted to about 100 pounds of boneless venison for the freezer, not only per the PA game chart, but also according to the big plastic meat containers that I use for processing.   I have been able to fill my buck tag on the 3 of the last 4 crossbow seasons, but have yet to have an antlerless deer in range.   I think full-inclusion would help out a lot there, as the wise old does in my neck of the SZ woods don't take too long to go full-nocturnal after they detect a little early archery season pressure.   

emmadeer.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

This was my first Crossbow season and it was a success ! 6 Pointer !  This is definitely a banner year for me . Doe with the compound another first , 2 weeks later Buck with the crossbow - a first and 8 Pointer opening day of gun !

That sounds awesome, congrats on a great year.   My gun season is not starting out so good but I hope to change that this upcoming long weekend up in the NZ.   I have scored up there on two of the last three Thanksgiving weekends, so hopefully this one will be good.   I am looking forward to a little still-hunting, and some snow.   One more deer would top off our freezer pretty good, added to that big crossbow buck and about one and a half deer left over from last year.   

• Like 1

could have shot a few trees. but i opted not to. other than that i let a few button bucks walk. until a found the right one.Now if I could convince the bucks to step out into a shooting lane I could have gotten a four or five. I never saw anything bigger.