Battery backup sump pump

fasteddie

Does anyone have one of these ? What brand ?

For years I wouldn't have given it a thought but this past winter / spring we have had a surplus of water coming into the sump hole . There is no water line out back and that is where the water is coming from . My neighbors have raised ranches and no water problem but we have a colonial with a full basement plus a basement under the addition .

The least expensive unit would run me about $450 to install myself and it doesn't appear to be a major task for a DIY job .

Check out the Zoeller line up Ed. Good pumps.

Liberty is another, but they run in cycles of defective pumps it seems. ::(

If you're not on a well, here's another cheaper option for ya, but be warned.....they're a pain in the arse to put in. Lots o' little parts that like to fall in the sump pit. >:(

http://www.irawoods.com/Zoeller-503-0005-Home-Guard-Max-Water-Powered-Emergency-Backup-Pump-System?sc=2&category=48901

Check out the Zoeller line up Ed. Good pumps.

Liberty is another, but they run in cycles of defective pumps it seems. ::(

If you're not on a well, here's another cheaper option for ya, but be warned.....they're a pain in the arse to put in. Lots o' little parts that like to fall in the sump pit. >:(

http://www.irawoods.com/Zoeller-503-0005-Home-Guard-Max-Water-Powered-Emergency-Backup-Pump-System?sc=2&category=48901

Wooly --- I was looking at the backup sump pumps that work off the water pressure . It showed that the hookup had to be between the street shutoff and the water pressure which in my case is all the way across the basement in the opposite corner . Another worry is to make sure the water from the sump hole doesn't back up into the house water supply .

Fantail --- I need something that will run a sump pump when I am away for a few days . I can hook up my generator for an overnight outage ( only if I am home ) .

I am looking for something that will kick on when no one is home and we have a power failure ( which is not uncommon ) . I have been looking at the Wayne and WatchDog systems . You buy a unit and the deep cycle battery and battery acid are an added expense .

The battery back up is only as good as the well maintained battery. Most people forget about them once installed, also I was told even a good battery will only last 6-8 hrs. at a time. My son in law has the water pressure back up & it works great, just need a water supply line to hook it up to & it uses 2-3 gals. of water to get rid of 1 gal. but thats better than a flooded area I guess.  just my 2 cents.

A battery backup will run 6 - 7 hours continuous or a few days on regular intermittant usage which is normal for sump pump use . The batteries supposedly last 6-7 years so if it only lasted 5 years, that would be $30 / year (just for the battery cost) .

Hunter49 --- Does your son in law have the line to the pump system hooked up ahead of the water pressure regulator ?

Wooly --- I was looking at the backup sump pumps that work off the water pressure . It showed that the hookup had to be between the street shutoff and the water pressure which in my case is all the way across the basement in the opposite corner .

It wouldn't be very hard, expensive, or time consuming to run a single 3/4" Pex piping line from one corner to the opposite. I'll bet even you could string up 200 ft of the stuff in 15 minutes or so. ;)

Another worry is to make sure the water from the sump hole doesn't back up into the house water supply .

That's where you'll need a dual check valve installed on the water main to prevent this.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Watts-0061791-3-4-7U2-2-Dual-Check-Valve-5461000-p

I've litterally installed hundreds of these back up systems of all types back when I was working. Looking at the new hydro powered pumps compared to a few years ago, I guess they come pre-assembled now if I read that first link right. The do-it-yourselfer has it made these days. Those things used to have about 50 microscopic springs, screws and other miscelanious parts that the manufacturer purposely lubed up at the factory to ruin your weekend. ::)

The biggest problem we ever really ran into with them was fitting the sump pit lid back on propperly with all the new piping sticking up and how high the backup float sits in the pit. You'll need your sawzall to modify that. 8)

I am with Wooly. I have put 6 in.......my house included. They work great in my experience. In my house it was a little tricky because the drain tiles under the slab were so low coming into the crock there was little margin for error to install the backups float. I didn't want the tiles to hold water before the thing kicked on. 3/4" line is mandatory to get enough flow

I'd imagine more than a few people are wishing they had a back up system of one sort or the other in the next few days.

For the people that don't want or can't afford a back up system, get yourself some kind of alarm for water intrusion.  They can be purchased very cheap.  If you have a burglar alarm system for your home, have the crock set up with an alarm also.  It won't cost much and can save you thousands. 

Few homeowners policies will pay in excess of $5000, many just $2500 for water damage in basements and that ain't squat these days considering the amount of money people put into those recreation rooms in the basement.

Check your policy if in doubt!  (NO grin :'( )

Replacing washer, dryer, furnace, H2O tank, carpet, pad, drywall, trim, paint and all that particle board construction furniture will cost more than an  Indiana deer lease....................................

I was in the Webster Lowes today checking out their Backup systems . A fellow who works for Gerber Construction said to stay away from the Battery operated backup and go with the water pressure one . He said he has been doing plumbing for over 25 years and has installed several water pressure backups and replaced several battery b/u's with the water pressure ones .

Thanks for the help !