Daylight Varmint Calling

Doc

I'm no expert, just started calling three years ago. But we have been successful enough to kill 15 or so daytime coyotes during that time. For someone just starting out, I'd recommend daytime hunting first. Much easier to pick up movement during the day. And to see how they are reacting or not reacting to your calls. A quiet down wind approach is a must. Also, always keep a look to your downwind area, as they will often try to come in from that direction. Blend into some brush or hedgerow and keep movement to a minimum. Set up where you can see a long distance. Like on a field edge, looking up to a brushy hillside. Or up high with a good field of view below . Most times during the day, they will come from a thick brushy area, where they will hole up during daylight hours. They won't often be seen cruising open woods or fields, like they do at night. 

Just get out there and get have fun with it! You will learn something, each time you go. The predators are no push over! They will figure you out quickly. So you must be as adaptable as they are, and change set ups and tactics often. But once you put it all together, and get one, you are hooked! As it is a thrill to call them in.

And once you are successful during the day, you can carry what you've learned, to night time hunting. And that entails a bit more gear, as far as lights and stuff. And you will need to be organized.  But to see those glowing eyes coming in is something that will definitely raise your heart rate! 

I've done more daytime calling this year than ever before. Must have tried 10-15 times, usually 3-4 stands per trip and never seen a thing. That's even with tons of sign in the area and using a FoxPro with a motion decoy.

I've taken 11 fox and 1 yote this season, all after dark.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1