Black Flies

fasteddie

These little bastards were out in full force this afternoon . Even though there were several wet spots in the back yard , I managed to mow the lawn . I couldn't get done fast enough . The black flies were horrible ! They serve no purpose on this planet !

I've been thinking about posting the same thing for the past week or so. Even with constant rain and chilly temps they are already swarming relentlessly. I've been in the woods quite a bit lately and have had to smoke like a chimney to keep them at bay. Wish I hadn't given that Therma-cell to pops and maybe kept it for myself. ::)

Damn ciggys are too expensive to use as a bug repellent but they do work super.

Just wait till the skeeters come out....OMG, I don't even want to think about it with as wet as it's been this spring. >:(

fasteddie, If you think there bad in your yard, you should try hunting turkeys in the woods. Those little suckers will eat you alive if you are not wearing insect repellent. I put it on my face mask, hat and just all over and they still buzz around my head. I remember one year when out hunting turkeys , I forgot my bug spray and I had no sooner sat down and started a gobbler and had him gobbling every step coming in. those little suckers were feeding on me like no tomorrow. I took it for (5) five min and said to myself ,that's it ,I can't take it no more. I got up and left with the bird gobbling and coming at 60 yards. I hate those little suckers.

I play golf with some guys who use dryer sheets and they have no problems with the little suckers. I can't say ,because I use bug spray. They put a sheet under the back of their hat with about 3 quarters of it hanging out the back. The people who use them, swear by them.

"The black flies were horrible ! They serve no purpose on this planet !"

I beg to differ. They serve a tremendous purpose protecting the Adirondacks.  Can you imagine how crowded it would get if it wasn't for the black flies?  :(  The black flies keep the masses at bay.  Hopefully the masses won't ever figure out that they all die off come July 1st.  :(

"The black flies were horrible ! They serve no purpose on this planet !"

I beg to differ. They serve a tremendous purpose protecting the Adirondacks.  Can you imagine how crowded it would get if it wasn't for the black flies?  :(  The black flies keep the masses at bay.  Hopefully the masses won't ever figure out that they all die off come July 1st.  :(

Yeah , I think Al Gore said that ! But .......he didn't know about July 1st . ')'>alt=duhhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/picker.gif[/img]

yesterday playng golf they were horrible and this morning turkey hunting they were even worse. Nothing like chasing turkeys and swatting bugs

Wow, I play golf on L.I. and don't have to deal with those buggers. That must really suck, is there a handicap for black flies?