Youth Bow

Chris3

I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on what to get, or has a used bow for a 12 year old right handed boy. My son has been asking for a bow for a while now, but I am a single mom, that really hasn't got much of a clue as to what to get.  I want to surprise him for his birthday next month. Budget friendly please!!

Chris

i give you lots of credit for searching for your son.   Do you know the type of bow he wants, compound or traditional?

Compound will need to be specific to his DL and at a weight he can handle.  Likely requires him to be measured at a competent bow shop.  There are several brands that can grow with him in draw length and weight.   Diamond and Matthews are 2 such brands.   Your general location may allow for some Archery shop recommendations. 

Single string traditional is easy to find a bow as they are not draw length specific.  But they are harder to shoot accurately.  A good bow shop can advise on this too.  

If you are near Rochester or Syracuse, I suggest talking to Mike at Heritage in Phelps NY.  315-828-6860.  Good luck.  

To sort of add to Moog's info, a very adjustable bow from Mathew's is their Mission Hype.  I use that bow, the pull back weight(draw weight) is highly adjustable,  i believe its 19 to 70 pounds it can be set for.  Plus a wide adjustability for DL(draw lengths)  not the most expensive bow, but not the cheapest either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris3 said:

Compound bow... my daughter has a diamond. He wants to practice for archery season. We are a couple hours from Rochester, but I'll keep it in  mind if we can't figure something out on this side of the state. lol

You will need to have his draw length measured and the bow set for it.  Diamond is a good option. Look for a good shop in your area (not big box store).  

• Thanks 1

Bear makes a nice one that goes from 5-45 draw.  But it's $300.   

I would suggest the one they have for like $65.  That has a draw of 10-15 lbs for the age of 12.  It's like $65.  That way he can practice a bit with that and then buy a bow that will fit better for hunting in a couple years.  Then would be able to get a bow that would fit and he would be able to adjust as he gets older.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you! We have a great place that will adjust for kids for free. He just wants to get more kids involved and does a really great job. Thorough and patient. Set my daughters up. Sells new stuff... looking for used as it is more affordable.

• Like 1

Check Craig's list or want ad digest.  EBay is also good, but I'd be cautious about buying from a long distance.  A used bow could have issues such as cracked limbs that only a close inspection would detect. Possibly only buy used from a dealer if using EBay.  

Also keep checking on this sights for sale or trade section.  

• Thanks 1