A lifelong friend called to wish me a Happy Birthday

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

Now this is just getting funny. Really, no vilification of ‘leftists ‘ and ‘libtards ‘ on this forum?  Very convenient selective memory. 

It's one thing to call people names.  It's an entirely different evil to call for killing them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, virgil said:

Really?  No recollection of Obama being called a Kenyan or Muslim, signs depicting him or his wife as primates, the birther conspiracy farce....?  None of that?

I absolutely remember all of that. But it wasn't from celebrities, MSM, athletes, musicians, etc like it is with Trump. And it certainly was not to the levels it is with Trump.

Trump pushed the birther issue, but he was a private citizen at the time.

All that said, Trump is easy to dislike because in this day and age, style is preferred over substance. And that's what we had from 2008-2016. 

I don't think he was elected because everybody liked him, but I do wish he'd polish up his act a bit. He does need to win again in 2020 and can't afford to pizz away votes.

• Like 1

It's one thing to call people names.  It's an entirely different evil to call for killing them.

It definitely is! But like Virgil said I've witnessed people name calling Obama and heard a few people saying he should be killed (in person, not on forum). It's gotten out of hand on all sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s wrong to call for killing someone, especially the president- although I’m not sure why you’re bringing that into this thread. It was also wrong when Ted Nugent alluded to it; it was also wrong when Sen. David Perdue asked attendees to pray for it at the 2016 Faith & Freedom event. 

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

Yes, it’s wrong to call for killing someone, especially the president- although I’m not sure why you’re bringing that into this thread. It was also wrong when Ted Nugent alluded to it; it was also wrong when Sen. David Perdue asked attendees to pray for it at the 2016 Faith & Freedom event. 

I'm not aware of these things.  Perhaps you can provide a link to allow me to investigate further.  Even if it did happen, weren't they both severely criticized for saying it?  I can recall many instances of justified criticism of Obama's policies that got people labeled as "racist" and fired from their jobs.  The MSM circled the wagons around Obama and protected everything he said or did.  So did all of the Dems in D.C.  Today, Trump's only friends are the people who voted for him, even when all of the evidence points to America actually improving on all political fronts.

• Like 1

I’m not able to do links from my phone- they’re both easy to find if you google them. 

And, yes, I’m sure they did receive criticism at the time. But, certainly not on this forum by the people now complaining about the sudden loss of civility directed at Trump. 

54 minutes ago, virgil said:

....and you would feel the same way about the need for civility even if your choice had not won the election?  Seems like a convenient position to take. 

I agree. Civility is gone and badly needed. It disappeared in 2008 and is only getting worse. 

I didn't vote for Obama but I still had civil conversations with people that did. Unfortunately it isn't the same way today with those that didn't vote for Trump.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1