Camping Sign Up

Steve D

divider-2_crop.jpg

First Time Camper

First-Time Camper Weekends 
Register May 10-13 for a chance to camp! 

State Parks and Department of Environmental Conservation are again providing free First-Time Camper weekends this summer. Due to its success and high demand, the program is being expanded to seven weekends and includes a new, online lottery system selection process. The application signup period runs from May 10 to May 13. Participants will be randomly selected to fill first-time camper slots.

Families that have never camped before will have the opportunity to see if they enjoy sleeping under the stars before investing in their own gear by registering for a fully stocked campsite at select state campgrounds one weekend.

New York's First-Time Camper program makes trying camping easy by providing a turnkey camping experience for families, especially those from underserved communities that have never camped before. New campers will be provided with a family tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, camp chairs, lantern, and even firewood, as well as assistance from a Camping

• Like 2

Interesting idea, as long as its not too easy. First-time camping is supposed to hurt a little, that's how you learn.

Brush the pine-cones and sticks away before you pitch the tent; collect the firewood before it gets dark; fuel the cook stove and the lanterns before you get into the woods...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Interesting idea, as long as its not too easy. First-time camping is supposed to hurt a little, that's how you learn.

Brush the pine-cones and sticks away before you pitch the tent; collect the firewood before it gets dark; fuel the cook stove and the lanterns before you get into the woods...

Agree

But.......What cook stove? When I started camping it was cooking over the fire, no gas or propane. It's not really camping if you rely on a cook stove to cook. Just my opinion.

If anyone ever gets to meet me any my soon to be wife, ask her about the time I used an umbrella to try finishing cooking my pork chops over coals when a sudden downpour started. I caved, but I gave one hell of a run for almost 20 minutes with water running down places water shouldn't run unless I am in the shower or under a water fall. LOL!

This is a good program, I was all for it last year and all for it this year.

Wish they would do things like this to get people into hunting, but maybe this will be the doorway for that in the future.

I've spent many nights cooking over campfires. I'm not ashamed of the fact that I now prefer a simple single-burner Coleman camp stove to heat up a can or pan of something. It's actually what I currently use in my house. When the weather's nice, I can take my stove outside. Pretty cool.

I’m glad this was a success last year and they are continuing it again this year.

What they are providing is a pretty basic setup compared to what people are using today. Lots of big RV’s with TVs inside and out. Full kitchen yaddayaddayadda. Takes away from the camping experience.

We are still tent campers but wouldn’t mind moving to a small hybrid camper for the ease of packing and having the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk