gator caught in NY

twsted21

Anyone hear about the 3 ft alligator caught in jamestown NY? heres the article.  3-foot alligator captured in WNY yard      May 17, 2011 2:00 PM    Associated Press      JAMESTOWN -- A call of an alligator on the loose snapped police into action in western New York.

Police in the city of Jamestown say a resident called about 7:45 a.m. Tuesday to report an alligator in a side yard.

Officers and the city's animal control officer were able to round up the 3-foot creature without incident.

They don't know where it came from or how long it may have been wandering the city.

looks like it wasnt the first one caught... lol

EAST YAPHANK, N.Y. (AP) — A 2 ½ -foot-long alligator found on the shoulder of the Long Island Expressway has been safely removed by police.

Suffolk County police say a motorist spotted the gator on Monday in East Yaphank, in the eastbound shoulder of the highway.

Chief Michael Sharkey tells Newsday that officers used milk crates to contain the alligator. He says the creature was probably a pet that was dumped or got loose.

He says people often get them as pets and then release them after they get too big.

The Suffolk SPCA is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction for animal cruelty of the person who may have abandoned the gator on the road

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Alligator-rescued-from-NY-roadside-1382650.php#ixzz1MeIrER2O

Probably someone's pet that got dumped after it got too big to handle. With the low temps, it was probably an easy catch. They get really slow in the cool weather. When I lived in Florida, we used to get a little pie eyed and go down to the ponds that were in the complex I lived in, and try and grab the gators by the tail. Youd better know how to run if youre gonna attempt it.  ;)

there has been a few gator releases by pet owners out here on the island over the years... I did not hear about this recent one on the LIE, thats pretty crazy...

Its crazy how people can just let them go and not think much of of the safety for people. there was a 4 footer awhile back in baldwyn as well i think?

Now that's something I'd like to run into on my next hike. :O

Just for the picture oppertunity obviously. I'd have to make him hold a dated Buffalo News paper in his chompers to authenticate the time and location of the shot of course,lol. :P