I am looking to add a winch to my Polaris, and have the bracket that fits on order. It will fit several winch bolt patterns, and it looks like they are pretty standard. The big question to me is, how much pulling power do I need. I see all kinds of weights out there, but Im not sure what I really need to get. Ill be using the winch to work a plow, get my quad unstuck if need be, or pull a buddy out of the mud. What are your opinions on what I should be looking for?

I went with this guy, and LOVE IT - > http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,23.msg49.html#msg49

Viper 4000 Winch, ordered it from the manu motoalliance off ebay.  4000 is way overkill, I actually ordered a 3500 but they were out of stock and gave me the 4000 instead. 

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=showCategoryContents&catId=6

Wow, those are great prices. I was thinking of one of the 3000lb winches that Harbor Freight carries. It runs @ $150, but the Viper 3500lb comes with all the accessories and is only a few bucks more with free shipping.

How has the winch worked for you so far John?

I have a 2500# on my 500. only used it twice. Once to pull myself out of mud over the foot boards and second time was when I overestimated my clearance crossing a log. Pulled right out with no assistance from the tires. Just threw it in neutral and operated the winch. Having the controls in a conveinent spot is very important.

Also I suggest if you get one, first thing to do is pull all the cable out hook it to an imovable object and run it back in towing the wheeler so it is wound under load. If you don't the wraps are loose and a strand can pull into the ones under it and it will really bum you out if it binds when you first need it.

Wow, those are great prices. I was thinking of one of the 3000lb winches that Harbor Freight carries. It runs @ $150, but the Viper 3500lb comes with all the accessories and is only a few bucks more with free shipping.

How has the winch worked for you so far John?

Awesome... Pulled me out of mud 1 time, then pulled my brother out.  Also moved a monster tree that fell during that bad wind storm we had during hunting. I got the one with the keychain remote, which turned out to be a lifesaver if your alone and hooking crap up.

And I used to to raise a tree stand...

BTW a harbor freight just opened by me!!! I can't wait to go, gonna grab a framing nailer to use when building my shed.

Sign up on their website to receive ads and coupons, they send out really good ones from time to time. Beware the temptation to walk out with half the store though lol  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...