Finally gonna get some range time

ah grow a set like WNY and shoot a few boxes of shells...lol  :D  It ain't gonna kill ya!

It wont kill you, but your shoulder will hurt like a bitch for a few days  :P

The most important thing is to walk away from it when you start developing a bit of a flinch. If you dont, you will have a tough time shooting it without flinching all the time.

• 2 months later...

I hate to be "that guy", but why are the guns facing downrange while someone is down range? We usualy rack em before going down range. BTW glad I got the 870 in 20 ga. I use the 2 3/4 buckhammers and love em. I used to have a 12ga single shot that was light and kicked like a mule, hence the move to 20 ga

I hate to be "that guy", but why are the guns facing downrange while someone is down range? We usualy rack em before going down range. BTW glad I got the 870 in 20 ga. I use the 2 3/4 buckhammers and love em. I used to have a 12ga single shot that was light and kicked like a mule, hence the move to 20 ga

Actions are all open and showing safe.

I moved to the 12 this year from a 20.

Nice report and pictures.

I use a PAST recoil shield when shooting my rifles from the bench. I call it my "sissy pad". Actually that's not REALLY what I call it, but it's a polite euphemism. ;) .

Back when I was shooting shotguns from the bench, the PAST that I have was enough to prevent bruising, but it still hurt like hell. So I started placing a partially full bag of shot between the butt and my shoulder. That made the recoil tolerable.

My favortie slug gun was actually quite comfortable to shoot. It's a Rem1100 2 3/4" 12 gauge.

Due to its gas operation and the fact it weighs 10 pounds equipped with sling, scope, cantilever mount and comb riser, recoil is quite mild for a shotgun. Another factor was that I used Standard velocity 2 3/4" Win.BRI slugs, which recoil considerably less than the high velocity loadings and 3 inchers. They were very accurate and killed deer just fine out to 100 yards, after which they drop like rocks.

I've shot my share of light, fixed breech slug guns from the bench over the years. They are downright brutal.