Seymour

Jdubs

My plan was to hike Seymour on Saturday, car camp along Corey's and then hike D-S-E today. Jeep packed, perfect weather and all the preparations made, but sometimes you still get a curve ball thrown at you.

The drive up was actually much shorter than I thought, only 2.5 hours from Ballston Lake. I arrived at the trailhead lot with only 10 cars in sight and signed in around 6 am. Beautiful walk in the woods via the Blueberry and Ward Brook Truck trails. It's about as tame as Lake Rd. in the AMR with better scenery. It's about 5.5 miles to the start of the hp and I was able to get there in about 2 hours, stopping briefly along the way to snap some pics. Two trail runners passed me by on their way up and later back from Seymour, et al.

The herd path up to Seymour's summit is another story. A rugged, steep, muddy and unforgiving climb starts at the pot cairn and ends at the treed summit. This section alone took me 2 hours and really left me in awe of the trail runners who did ALL FOUR Sewards in 7-8 hours! jaw-dropping.gif There is an open ledge just below true summit and facing north with spectacular views that made for an ideal break spot. I stayed up there about an hour before heading down. Unfortunately, I ignored and later did not have enough supplies to address some nasty blisters on my feet by the time I returned to the Ward LT. Weird, because I wore the same boots on the last hike to BaSa and didn't have that issue. Then my right knee wanted to lock up.  Never had that problem before either.  Made it back to the Jeep by 3:30 with the breaks and decided to turn for home. All in all, I didn't want to push my luck attempting D-S-E on bad wheels and ultimately ruin what had otherwise been a stellar hike. This is #36/46 for me; still working towards a 46er finish in July albeit with a new pair of kicks.

DSCF3991 (2).JPG

DSCF4004 (2).JPG

DSCF4008 (2).JPG

DSCF4014 (2).JPG

DSCF4023 (2).JPG

DSCF4034 (2).JPG

DSCF4038 (2).JPG

• Like 8

Great pictures of what sounds like a tough hike John. Heal up my friend, and get back to finishing up the last ten peaks. I think you made a smart decision to head home, before causing more damage to the wheels. At times, the most difficult decision, is knowing when to say when.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Great pictures of what sounds like a tough hike John. Heal up my friend, and get back to finishing up the last ten peaks. I think you made a smart decision to head home, before causing more damage to the wheels. At times, the most difficult decision, is knowing when to say when.

Thanks grampy!  Kills me to not be up there on a gorgeous day like this, but I also learned a valuable lesson.  That's the yin and yang of hiking.  No joy in pressing on just to check a few more boxes, that's not why I do it.  The knee thing was the deciding factor for me.  Blisters are just pain tolerance.

7 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

wow so cool is that the Adirondacks ,my uncle had a motel in whiteface mt. I hiked that  but  was much younger.

Yes, the Seward range is in the Western High Peaks region, west of Saranac Lake.  Whiteface (and Esther) was a unique hike!  

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Thanks grampy!  Kills me to not be up there on a gorgeous day like this, but I also learned a valuable lesson.  That's the yin and yang of hiking.  No joy in pressing on just to check a few more boxes, that's not why I do it.  The knee thing was the deciding factor for me.  Blisters are just pain tolerance.

How is the knee doing today? Hope it's better oldtimer........grin.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

How is the knee doing today? Hope it's better oldtimer........grin.

Ha!  We're not getting any younger! :haha:

Knee is good, only a little achey.  I'll start a fire and crack open a brew later to self-medicate. :drinks:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Which 4 do you have left?

I think have about a dozen left.

Seymour/Sewards/Santanonis/Wright/Haystack......I'd have to think about it some.

But I just messed around when I felt like it over a couple summers, maybe someday I'll finish it; other priorities came about(mostly work and hunting trips). Now I'm too outta shape. LOL

33 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I think have about a dozen left.

Seymour/Sewards/Santanonis/Wright/Haystack......I'd have to think about it some.

But I just messed around when I felt like it over a couple summers, maybe someday I'll finish it; other priorities came about(mostly work and hunting trips). Now I'm too outta shape. LOL

Well, you sure went all out for those hunting trips!  Amazing stuff. :drinks:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Well, you sure went all out for those hunting trips!  Amazing stuff. :drinks:

:drinks:.Thanks.

Honest if the trail heads were a touch closer, I'd spend more time up there. About 3 1/2 hrs to either Keene Valley or Flowed Lands side of things; makes day hikes a PIA with driving.

29 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

:drinks:.Thanks.

Honest if the trail heads were a touch closer, I'd spend more time up there. About 3 1/2 hrs to either Keene Valley or Flowed Lands side of things; makes day hikes a PIA with driving.

If you get the itch, let me know.  :good: