Acorns Vs Food Plot

Iluvracks1359

So from what I've seen, deer really seem to prefer oaks to feed, however, do they prefer the acorns over a food plot, or even a farmers crop (corn, soy beans etc.)? I ask because in my new spot this year, during early turkey season I placed my trail cam  on a woods edge facing what used to be a hay field, but has not been planted for many years, now it is just basically a weed field, maybe its still hay growing, but im not sure. Anyways, I placed this camera to scout for turks, but quickly noticed I was getting a lot of deer action at the camera. I would love to plant a food plot in the field that the camera faces, but at this time I don't have the resources to do so, but im wondering, since the field butts up to a hardwood forest, that is, for the most part, all oaks, and as I was walking through the woods I noticed the ground is just covered with Acorns. So after all that typing, my question is simple, do I even need a food plot? also, im pretty sure the field is still growing hay, do deer like to eat hay?  

thanks!

- E 

an old hay field has lots of clover and forbes growing in it.  oaks are cyclical so a plot would be benificial when they dont produce. clover and a brassica mix should stand up to browse pressure.

as for not having the means.buy. a 2.5 gallon hand sprayer , spray gly ( active ingrediant in round up) wait 2 weeks . plant . if you can hand rake or burn off browned up grasses for better seed soil contact you have a small plot for under 50 bucks and a little effort. it doesnt need to be big 1/5  to 1/4 acre for hunting over is all you need . you can expand it every year by hand if you want bigger clover last for years. and overseeding with turnip makes the deer " "rototill" it digging up bulbs every yeae and the clover will reseed itself in worked up ground.  

you hear spo ilt test. but you can do without it.  doing anything is better than nothing.. 

• Like 1

Agreed, When acorns are dropping thats where youll find deer .. consuming them while they can. In between feedings theyll hit a food plot no doubt. The nice thing about the many different species of food in nature are that many are palatable/preferred at different times. Once the acorns are gone. they will be on to the next best option they have to feed on.. being your food plot(species depending) or farmers field or dropping soft mast, what ever is available. For food plots Clovers work awesome right up until cold weather. Brassicas work great for early fall through winter. Some Cereal grains are great fall winter attraction as well. Mow/Weedwhack your standing vegetation down, Kill it as suggested above once its green and growing again, then spread your seed right before a good rain. These 3 seeds mentioned will germinate no problem with a good rain immediately following planting and no soil prep.. 

Pic for example is a brassica plot i planted 2 years ago.. mowed vegetation down, sprayed it with gly/roundup once it started actively growing again .. spread seed and rolled it with lawn roller.. pic is 4 weeks after planting..

20160831_164539.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW

If it were me, I would just mow some trails in the old hay field.  The deer would use the trails and eat the new growth.  The "easiest" way would be to use a brushhog, but you could get by with a weedwhacker.  I know a guy who did this and got tons of pics of deer eating clover that grew in the trails.  Good luck!

Deer prefer many different foods depending on the time of year and what is producing and what is not. There is nothing wrong with variety. Be careful about putting too much stock in observations in open croplands and plots. You may be seeing deer there simply because they are quite visible when standing out in the middle of a field. When deer back in the woods eating acorns are not necessarily "on display".

And remember that not all oaks are created equal in terms of being deer attractants. White oak acorns are the preferred food.

Edited by Doc