Woodchuck bow hunt

I have seen a woodchuck around the house lately and have watched him scoot around the woods and fields nearby. I have found an entrance to his burrow and saw some tracks next to the entrance. When the season for me to hunt him legally I was wondering what would be the best way to hunt him. Waiting outside the burrow entrance I found in some camo or if I should walk around looking for him? I have a bow and I can only shoot up to 30 yards so I need to get in close.

[table][tr][td]    [table][tr]  [td][/td]  [td]  [/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td] [/td]  [td] [/td][/tr][/table]

There is a season on wood chucks they are considered a "ground squirrel"

Members of the Sciuridae family,

commonly referred to as squirrels, are rodents. The rodent's characteristically large, paired, and continuously growing incisors are perfectly adapted for crunching on nuts and wood and must be kept short by continuous gnawing. Rodents make up just over 40% of the total mammalian species on earth. Squirrels make up a significant portion of that and certainly are the most diverse family of mammals. They are easily identified by their long bushy tails, pointed ears and cheek pouches (used for temporary food storage). Squirrels can be categorized into 3 groups: Flying Squirrels are arboreal and have furred membranes that aid in gliding. Tree Squirrels are adapted for climbing trees, with sharp claws and long bushy tails. Ground Squirrels are generally more robust and tent to have less bushy tails. All squirrels have 4 clawed toes on the forelimbs and 5 clawed toes on the hind limbs.

Some interesting facts:

Squirrels will bite off the germinating end of a nut prior to burying it to prevent it from growing.  They usually maintain several dens in case one is found by a predator.  They don't use their memory, but sight and smell to locate buried nuts in the winter. The nuts they find aren't necessarily the nuts they buried and they don't recover most of what they do burry.  They use scent markings, vocal calls and tail flicks to communicate with each other. A tail raised above the body and flicked is usually a sign of aggression.  Although not generally social, they will call out loudly to warn others of predators.      A Woodchuck (or Groundhog) is indeed a ground squirrel.      "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood? A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood."    Actually, woodchucks feed on bark and twigs only if food is scarce. In our region, mowed lawns are an all-you-can-eat buffet for the woodchuck. [/td][/tr][/table]

MORE ON THE SQUIRRELS....

Squirrels, Chipmunks, Woodchucks, Groundhogs of New York - Upstate Wildlife

[table][tr][td]    [table][tr]  [td][/td]  [td]  [/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td] [/td]  [td] [/td][/tr][/table]

There is a season on wood chucks they are considered a "ground squirrel"

[/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t]

Not in NY there isn't.  I'm up to eight this summer and I've shot every one from the house!!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27801.html

The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm.

[/td][/tr][/table]