Do you use a Safety Harness ?

fasteddie

Last Sun. 10/17 a friend of mine was using his 18 year old welded alum. climber.When he started climbing down a weld broke and part of the hand climber flew off! His old safety strap,the kind not sold anymore,caught him. He hugged the tree and finished climbing down.Then he went home,changed his shorts and ordered a Summit!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used to untill last year. Before bow season i decided to move a tree stand by myself. It was one of those crappy ladder stands that you can buy for $50. I went up figuring that i would unrachet it from the tree and it would still be on enough of an angle to walk down carefully, like i normally do. I never took into consideration how steep of an incline it was on untill i had unstrapped and noticed the ladder wanting to pull from the tree. I reached down to retighten the strap but instead accidently knocked it out of the stand. So i was basically stranded with the only thing keeping the stand steady was my arms. I thought maybe i could just slide down the tree gracefully.  But the stand had other ideas, it kicked out, but luckily i was able to grab and stratle the tree, Unfortunately i couldnt control the speed at which i was desending and my shirt lifted up on my way down. At the bottom i was relieved to still be walking but had road rash from the bark on my chest that burnt and hurt like nothing i can remember. now i wear a harness.

Im actually thinking of getting a new harness. I currently have a Gorilla vest style harness that is 4 or 5 years old. Its in great shape, but I just dont like the strap buckles. Their new Exo Tech looks much better, nice buckles and Im not a big fan of the vest style ones. I dont mind the black color, I usually wear mine under my outer shell (Scent Lok pants and jacket) anyhow. The Summit Seat-o-the Pants looks ok, but the buckles arent that great.

Im actually thinking of getting a new harness. I currently have a Gorilla vest style harness that is 4 or 5 years old. Its in great shape, but I just dont like the strap buckles. Their new Exo Tech looks much better, nice buckles and Im not a big fan of the vest style ones. I dont mind the black color, I usually wear mine under my outer shell (Scent Lok pants and jacket) anyhow. The Summit Seat-o-the Pants looks ok, but the buckles arent that great.

I never thought I would like the vest type either, but I now own one and were it under my jacket and the only negative I have with it is walking long distances with two straps between your legs.

I was carrying mine in a black cloth bag but decided it was easier to wear the HSS . I have a stand that is over 1/2 mile walk and it was no problem . I roll up my top or jacket and attach it to my backpack . When I get to the stand , I take the harness off put my jacket on and then put the HSS on over my jacket . No problemo ! 

•   Fall-safe hunting: Ensure your climbing safety with these climbing ...  In event of a fall, a single belt around the waist can cause severe internal ... 1) Many accidents occur when a person is climbing into or out of a stand, ...
    www.thefreelibrary.com/Fall-safe+hunting%3A+Ensure+your+climbing+safety+with+these+climbing...-a085185358 - Cached
  •  
    The above link pretty much says it all regarding tree stand safety!

I never thought I would like the vest type either, but I now own one and were it under my jacket and the only negative I have with it is walking long distances with two straps between your legs.

Like I said, I have a vest style now, and dont like it. The Exo Tech is kind of a hybrid between the strap style and vest style. Its more breathable than a vest, but goes on in a similar fashion.