FYI boaters..

Robhuntandfish

25 minutes ago, Rattler said:

You know there will come a day when all gun owners will be required to take a safety test as well.  It's coming and it won't be possible to object, especially when many gun owners will support it as a good idea.  It's all good, "If it can save just one life."

Funny how that saying doesn't apply to CC in so many places.

Driving a boat on public waters is not a right. Apples and oranges.

42 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Living in a free society does not mean that it will be a free for all for everyone, where everyone could do what they please without any sort of rules and regulations.  There will NEVER be a society like that, I can guarantee you that.  So, just because someone thinks it's their God given right to take a dump wherever they want, even on a public street or on someones doorstep we should accept that?  Sorry, I won't buy that.  That's all I will say and won't spend anymore time discussing this.

We have plenty of rules and regulations.  They are supposed to be used against lawbreakers, not responsible citizens.  A free society presses charges against people who violate laws.  It doesn't engage in "preventative law" where everyone is assumed to be a violator unless approved by the government.  Our society has become one where govt grants privileges, but makes excuses for violators of laws.  It will make excuses for people dumping on the street, like they do in California, even though there is a law against it.

The topic is govt requiring safety classes to engage in a civil activity, correct?  Well, perhaps a little extrapolation into where that can lead is a good idea.  

I don't post these things to get people pissed off.  I post them to get people to realize they are giving up their freedoms without a fight.  I'm always amazed how little resistance people offer whenever they are told to comply with new restrictions on their freedom.  It's a bad idea to be so compliant with constraints.

I'll just leave this as food for thought and let it go now.  I've said all I can.  Take it or leave it.

NoCompromise.jpg

The problem with all these laws is, laws don't make idiotic people less idiotic. Or criminal less criminal for that matter.

I have been boating my whole life. I used to sit on my dads lap and steer the boat. Got my own 16ft Sportcraft with a 60HP Merc before I was out of highschool. I bought a 1988 Sea Ray with a downpayment from my Graduation money when I graduated in 1991. I was really annoyed that I had to take a boating course to legally ride a jet ski sometime in the late 90's when I had already been boating and riding jet skis since I was old enough to see out of a windshield. I have never come close to having an incident on the water. 

WNY, you keep saying that you need to pass a drivers test for a car and I agree with what you are saying. But a written test or course you have to pass online isn't going to change the fact that a moron is a moron. IMO it is just another hoop for people to jump through and for the lawmakers to say they did something. For instance how is a person taking a course online going to learn that a boat doesn't have brakes, or that tides current and wind all play a roll when you are trying to dock or load your boat on a trailer. Or how to deal with an oncoming vessel while you are trying to keep your boat headed into the waves. A book can teach you port, starboard, forward and aft, red right returning, no wake zones etc but it can't teach you how to boat.

Now if they want to give an actual test like a driving test.....where you have to drive your boat to a ramp, back up the trailer, launch your boat, dock the boat and put it back on the trailer and they are going to actually fail people and not allow them to operate a boat when they can't accomplish this, then maybe we could get rid of the idiots on the water....and maybe I could again use a public boat launch....

Edited by ApexerER

I'm not currently a boater but..........

I have no problem with a safety course. I thinks it's a good idea, just don't see how this will keep the DB's off the water. Downing a case of beer while hauling a$$ in your speed boat will always be an issue.