Muzzleloader Help

JRod 8G8H

Looking for a sub $500 muzzleloader..... I'm leaning towards a Optima V2 but wouldn't mind some input.. I may or may not scope it...

I like to hear reviews so let me know...... Most people will say go handle one but I've shot a few like TC Encore and Impact and a Pro Hunter...   Thanks!!!!

I have the optima v2 ,it will shoot as good as anything you're gonna come across over the counter. I always tell people to go the Blackhorn 209 route ,I don't know anybody who made the switch and wasn't glad they did. Get the Blackhorn breech plug ,100g Blackhorn 209 , 300g shockwave with a federal shot primer in that optima is a proven recipe.

They sell a package that comes with a konus scope , you shouldn't have any trouble with that scope.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2

I was looking at the wolf and optima packages. They have great reviews and hard to beat for the price. I ended up buying a traditions vortek ultralight ldr though. Ended up getting it with a Nikon scope for under 200 as a package deal. I use it with the pellets and 295g power belts and it's a tack driver.

• Like 1

I had a gen 1 Optima, used it for a few years and sold it when they came out with the new breech plug design.  Now I have a Stainless steel CVA Wolf, hunted two years with open sights.  Killed my best buck with it.  I popped on a Nikon 3x9 and it now sits on top of it.  Great gun for the money.

• Like 2

I was in the market for a new muzzleloader this past spring. After a lot of reading, I decided to get the CVA Optima V2. There is a wealth of info on this forum https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/#muzzleloading-firearms-and-optics.52 . Everyone was raving about the Blackhorn 209 with the BH 209 breechplug, so I went with that. I'm shooting 290gr Barnes Expander Spit-Fire T-EZ. I topped it off with a Nikon Prostaff P3 with BDC reticle. I am thrilled with the accuracy! 

• Like 3