Rodents will rule the world!

First-light

So last week in stand I noticed so many different rodents in 1/4 acre area in front of me. At one point there had to be 3 grays, 5 red squirrels, 3 field mouse and 5 chipmunks. All involved in chasing to get laid or stealing the other ones nuts. It's so funny how in our world if a rodent invades our territory its game on. There everywhere! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I had a bunch of squirrel running around sunday morning until  a hawk swooped in and stayed perched on a limb which then gave me the idea to put one of those hawk decoys out when i hunt.  

On two occasions a hawk and an owl came in. Boy did they scatter. The chirps went into alarm. Then it quieted down and all back to normal!

A bumper crop pf chipmunks this year where I hunt. Was out woods bum'n a few weeks ago and was shocked at the numbers. Been a good 15 or so years since I've seen quite this many, but this year blew away anything I've seen before. 

There have been several occasions while sitting with my back to a stone fence where chipmunks have come and run across my shoulders/back of my neck. lol

Years back I had a hawk come and snatch a red squirrel off a downed tree I was sitting on just a few feet away. Scared the crap out of me.

Edited by cas
  • Like 1

Chipmunk numbers here are very high. Squirrel numbers are down. I hunt squirrels from a recliner on the patio each fall until the nuts are harvested. In 2016, 2017 and 2018, I eliminated between 20 and 25 squirrels each season. This year only 13, and only 4 of those were grey. My nuts are now safe. The remaining squirrels can live.

The rat-sized reds get buried, the greys eaten. The last of a sumptuous cacciatore was finished yesterday, leftovers for lunch.