Long way from Home !

LongWayFromHome

Yes sir I was born and raised in the Empire State, dairy farm boy, hunting  and fishing and trapping, but the reality of life is I am a long way from home! 

It's been 45 years since I last lived in NYS. Seems like a week ago. Talk about high velocity passing of time. The bugle sounded, service and sacrafice, the four corners of the world, places I will always remember, places I have already forgotten.   Can not say I have not been blessed by having had the opportunities to hunt and fish all over the world. Africa, from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Europe, Australia, the big dirty sandbox, just a big distant fog now.                                                   No matter where I was, the Monday before Thanksgiving I always remembered. No where in the world have I missed more and thought about as deeply as Western  NY.

Never had more fun, more pleasure then running around the hills of western NY. Deer hunting, grouse thickets, chuck shooting, squirrel'ing, busting  cottontails in the thickets, chasing bears, coon hunting, trapping, playing hooky to be trout fishing, and even though it seems like yesterday, it's bloody close to half a century!

My family, owned plenty land. Nary a time I was told I could not hunt or fish or trap by anyone. Those deer drives, seems like yesterday

The EXODUS from NY, well founded and understood, all the time being asked why I want to go back to a place like NY.

Indeed, I am a very long way from home. But there is no where I would rather be. I do hope there are some old timers that read this, and can understand why I love NY so much. No where in the world is there a place like NY. 

I have been back a few times thru the decades to hunt and fish.

Hope to hear from you soon. 

• Like 7

Except for the politics and taxes here in NY, it is the best state for outdoorsmen, and women I have ever seen. And I've been to all lower 48 states in my younger years. The beauty and diversity of NY is unequalled anywhere. With anything an outdoors person could possibly want.

Thank you for your service. I'll think of you on my 48th opening morning, looking out over the hill as the sun rises. Hoping to bring you just a little closer to home.......

• Like 1

Welcome to the site.  Thank you for your service.  I hope you can hunt NY again often.  I'm turning 64 next month and I can tell you the state is the same today geographically, but to hunters and gun owners, it has become downright hostile.  Still, one can enjoy some very fine hunting here in spite of the political environment and high taxes.

Like the old saying goes, it's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.  I'll miss it when I retire and move to a free state.

Enjoy the forums.  I hope they make you feel like you're here to hunt.