What do you use as base and outer layers during the COLD times?

burmjohn

I don't know why but I'm always freezing during the colder days of rifle season. Two years ago I invested in some Under Armor "3.0 cold gear" when it was on sale. They are comfortable, then I layer up with some other lighter layers over that. I think the issue I had was the bibs I was using, I've been using these Cabelas's Dry-Plus bibs that I had got on sale through their bargain cave a few years back. To be honest I wasn't to happy with them, they seemed pretty bulky and just did not keep me warm. I just ordered another set of bibs and hopefully it will be better, plus the older ones had a few rips here and there. Does anyone ever wear two sets of "thermals" or multiple base layers?

What I use is the Rocky base layers, usually the mid weight ones unless its really cold and windy, then I use the heavy ones. Over that, if its real cold, Ill wear a pair of sweat pants and sweat shirt, then my bibs and jacket. If its not 20 degrees or less, I dont even use the sweat pants and shirt, just my base layers and bibs and jacket.

The bibs and jacket I got are from Predator. I did a review on them last year.

If it's really cold I'll wear the military fleece base layer. It's called E.C.W.C.S. The ones I have are Red Head brand and they are really warm. If it's windy and really cold I'll throw a mid - layer over the base. For that I use a fleece pullover made to wear as a middle layer. So it's not too bulky. I think fleece is the best way to stay warm. I'm usually hot so I rarely wear all that stuff. I'll wear those thin poly thermals as a base then a t-shirt and then my camo insulated/fleece outter layer. One more tip for cold days I'll always have a gator for my neck that really keeps the heat from escaping your body especially on windy days.

I have gone to all wool for may base.

Then i have either another heavy wool for a layering or a variety of different weight fleece.

I was using my rain gear as a outer layer (no insulation) but its the my Drake stuff for waterfowling so i dont want to burn it out to fast. I just ordered a set of Nat Gear windproof fleece (bibs and jacket) for an outer-layer. I found it for quite a bit less than most retailors are asking. I shopped around on archery talk looking for a Nat Gear dealer that might want to beat the price and they would not even think about touching the price. http://www.trailwaters.com/ 107$ for both plus shipping. Most guys ask 140$ plus shipping.

And to top it off i have a ASAT leafy suit.

If it gets really could i will double up on the insulation or put on a down vest or jacket.

I use regular long johns under a set of ECWCS (Extreme Cold weather Clothing System) I picked up at an army-navy surplus last year, under a sweat shirt and normal pants under my bibs and 3-in-1 parka. I usually sweat on the way in but once I'm sitting I'm comfortable no matter how cold it gets.