Mahindra,Kubota,Kioti...or Bobcat

I have been seriously thinking about wheather to go with a compact tractor or an RTV/UTV that will do basically the same. Problem is,I want the wife to be able to ride along. The Bobcat UTV has almost every attachment you would see on a tractor and she could ride along. But man,the compact tractors are so sexy and usefull. Not sure I could plow a field with the Bobcat UTV as well or even close to that HOT Mahindra deisel! Decisions,decisions.I would really like one of each,the Mahindra and a Bobcat UTV...we know the Mrs. won't let that fly,Lord knows I don't have them kinda funds either.

Bobcat has a 24mos lease with purchase option......in 2 summers,I could have my fields and trails atleast ready enough with a compact tractor that after the 2yrs,any full size UTV with an attachment or 2 would be able to keep up with the upkeep.....and I would then be able to just buy 1 machine for the mamma and me. I just dunno.....opinions?

This is right up my alley. I used to sell Kioti (Bobcat) tractors, as well as Long-Farmtrac (L.S.) tractors. What hp were you thinking of getting? I know this will probably upset some people, but a UTV is more or less for transportation. Yes U can plow the driveway, and pull one of those discs behind it but, it will never do the quality of work, say a 25 hp compact tractor will do. Their are alot of 3 pt. hitch options that will go behind a tractor and your not committed to one brand. Do alot of research and find a brand U like. Get to know the dealership well, and ask alot of questions. If you lease one, take a real good look at that lease. Their is some special wording in there.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

If you want a toy buy the sxs if you want something that will last your and your kids lifetime and do more than u thought possible buy a tractor!! need to take wife and kis along get a wagon! I had a friend who bought a 4x4 that he was going to plow snow with/work up food plots/ect. after trying to move 1 good snowstorm he bought a snow blower. 2 years later he bought a tractor sold the snowblower and uses the sxs for giving the grandkids rides..... that said go with a Kioti 25-35 hp will do just about anything you need. The lifting power(how much weight it can lift) is several hundred lbs more than any other tractor in its same class, and usually more than a larger hp model. it weighs more witch gives you more traction, has a long warantee. i know it looked at several different manufactures when i bought my own and took the neighbor looking for a new tractor as well we both ended up with Kioti's. Recently i had the satisfaction of lifting logs into a truck that a 50 hp kubota wasnt able to but my 38 hp kioti could!! 0% financing and free loaders are available now and will problably be extended or re offered again...

• 1 month later...

I'm going to start a new thread, totally forgot to post my old man's new toy. It was a great deal had under 100 hrs, just need to get a disc now. Its a Kubota L39, he already used to to do the driveway with a gravel delivery and I can't wait to do some trail cleanup.

post-2-0-42216200-1320352050_thumb.jpg

I hear a lot of specs being tossed out there but I haven't seen any prices being mentioned yet....lol. Cost is no object? If that's the case, get one of each. Last time I checked the cost of any new tractor and a full complement of fitting implements, the cost was pretty ridiculous for hobby-work. To me the perfect solution is to get a good Ford 8N, 9n, or any properly priced three point hitch old tractor and a used plow, disc and drag, and have at it. Even at that, when factored into the final cost of those food plots, it should be understood that the cost per acre is still pretty high. Add that into the cost per pound of your venison, and it would be cheaper to take a trip to NYC to one of those upscale restaurants and buy a professionally prepared venison dinner for the family a few times a year.....lol.

I guess you can look at it that way :) But for instance this machine will be in the family for 30-40+ years now and really a lot of the costs for plots, trails, or whatever is really irrelevant providing you love doing and your having fun. But I agree, if it was ME buying it, I would have looked for a less expensive alternative to what my father invested in, there are so many options out there with solid old tractors that will get the job done depending upon what you plan on doing with them. My old man wants to build a pond, so he wanted something with a backhoe, plus we have a lot of culvert work to do.

Back in the early 50's, my dad bought a brand new Ford 8N along with a full line of tilling implements. He paid for all of that stuff in his first year's harvest of beans, but that's another story. He hung on to that tractor for decades and then finally gave it to my brother-in-law who is stil using it today. Never once had it re-built and it still starts immediately. I bought one in the early 70's and used it for years and finally sold it for more than I paid for it, and as far as I know the new owner is still using it. The point is that they are nearly indestructible and very cheap. Old Fergusons, Olivers, Farmalls, Cases, John Deeres, etc., are the same way. For someone who is only interested in putting a couple food plots each year (and perhaps not even every year), I would think the cheapest option would be the smartest option. Unless money is no problem. That is why I brought up that as another option.

Also, there is another potential alternative if the right circumstances offer the possibility. That is to rent land to a neighboring farmer. You lose a bit of control over crop selection and harvesting time, etc., but it is free and perhaps might even provide a small amount of income. No it's not the "high price spread" kind of professional deer food plot, but is a good alternative for someone who has more land than money. Of course, like I said, you have to have the right set of circumstances.

Another option may be hiring a local farmer neighbor to do the initial tilling of your food plots for you. That initial opening of fields can be the toughest and require the bigger more professional kind of equipment. Once tilled, the annual maintenance tilling after that is easier for recreation vehicles to handle.

These are just a few of the alternatives to diving in neck deep into multi-thousand dollar new line of equipment. Not every one needs to worry about that, but I sensed that finances might be forcing Single shot's choice between a tractor vs. a S x S rec vehicle. I just thought I would bring up other options that might not break the bank.

30-35hp diesel will do everything you need it to. a must have. rear differential lock, front (4) wheel drive, 3pt hitch.

nice but can do without, loader, cab, backhoe.

FOOD PLOT: anything that has a 3pt, rear PTO and can turn a 60" roto tiller (25hp) and your in. The rototiller is all you need for food plots, yes there are all the other attachements but the roto is a do all. I would only but a new rototiller becasue they can get beat up pretty good being used.