First Deer Gun

Tio1

I don't have any experience with them. But, you might investigate some of the reduced recoil loads available from the ammo manufacturers. You may be able to select a larger caliber, then your son could move up to full power loads as he grows (if he wants too). If you reload, you may be able to do the same thing yourself. I had a 6 mm Rem. (similar to a .243) when I was a kid - good choice. My son is now in his mid-twenties and has used his on two deer. His did run a short distance - he used 100 grain loads. He has been wondering about loads in the 85-87 gr. range but hasn't tried them yet.

243 will drop a deer with decent accuracy. I prefer the 25-06 with a 117 grain bullet. It has a little more force than the .243 so the shooter (especially being a youngster) will have more room for error. It doesnt recoil nearly as much as the 30-06. As I said, I prefer the 25-06, but anything from .243 through .270 should be fine depending on your sons tolerance and experience shooting. Good luck!

I also agree an the .243, but instead of buying the 700 in the youth model I would get it in the full size version and then buy a "cheap" replacement plastic stock and cut it to fit. As your son grows you can add to the butstock via a slip over recoil pad. That way your son can grow into his new 700 rifle and use it for varmints and predators when he graduates to a larger caliber, or if he wants, he can just keep killing deer with the .243. Either way, I wish you and your son luck on openting day in PA!

Depending on finances, many options are available. If you went with a 700 Youth gun, when he gets a bit bigger you can swap out the youth stock for an adult sized McMillan/Remington/HS etc.

Accuracy is generally terrific, it'll kill like a lightning bolt and give Jr. plenty of confidence without sending him on his can!

I'm 99% positive the 243 will be the gun I carry in PA this fall and also in Wyoming County, NY. Load development is close to being done and looks very good!

Let us know what you decide & good luck!

Edited by Lawdwaz

243 is a fine choice, 25-6 is a bit better. I think the recoil on both is about the same. Maybe a touch more abrupt with the 25-06. Certuanly better way down range on deer. I have a 25-06 Vanguard Sporter, great rifel, awesome factory trigger and will not break the bank (depending on your budget), If he's on the small side that rifle could be too long for him. I know in a youth size stock, the 243 is typically available. If he could handle the bigger stock, I think the 25-06, long term, will do him better.

I also agree an the .243, but instead of buying the 700 in the youth model I would get it in the full size version and then buy a "cheap" replacement plastic stock and cut it to fit. As your son grows you can add to the butstock via a slip over recoil pad. That way your son can grow into his new 700 rifle and use it for varmints and predators when he graduates to a larger caliber, or if he wants, he can just keep killing deer with the .243. Either way, I wish you and your son luck on openting day in PA!

I agree, get a 243 and he will have a deer rifle, not to mention a varmint rifle, that will last him for his life time.

243 is a fine choice, 25-6 is a bit better. I think the recoil on both is about the same. Maybe a touch more abrupt with the 25-06. Certuanly better way down range on deer. I have a 25-06 Vanguard Sporter, great rifel, awesome factory trigger and will not break the bank (depending on your budget), If he's on the small side that rifle could be too long for him. I know in a youth size stock, the 243 is typically available. If he could handle the bigger stock, I think the 25-06, long term, will do him better.

The 25-06 would give a kid (or an adult) absolutely no gain over a 243 for deer in NYS. Keep it simple and go kill deer.

.243 Weatherby .270 Weatherby Magnum

Are you suggesting these for a 9 year old?? I would hope not.

I think it's a tricky proposition setting a 9 year old up with any deer capable rifle. I understand that the key to get youngsters to like hunting is to start them early, but I don't know if 9 years old is a good age for deer hunting. I myself might take a 9 year old rabbit or squirrel hunting with a .22, but I don't know if I would trust them with a rifle or any weapon on deer. A .243 will get the job done in the hands of a good shot. Have a 9 year old make a mediocre shot and you've got a lost deer for sure. Not to say that a 9 year old could handle a more potent caliber either. Just my opinion on when starting them young might be too young.

I think he's drinking again. No such thing as a 243 Weatherby anyway.

Lol, are you serious? Yes, there is a .243 weatherby and always has been. Weatherby makes a beautiful .243 win. Its not a magnum and yes I suggest it for a 9 year old. Thats what I shot when I was that age and I wasnt even 100lbs. Then someday down the road the kid can get a .270 weatherby magnum for bigger game. With the right loads a 13 year old kid with a .243 and .270 magnum can take chucks, yotes, deer, elk, bear, wolf, muleys, antelope, etc.

Gotta diagree with you, the 25-06 will get you all they up to 120 gr loadings and give you better SD for deer. The 243 is a fine choice too, but for the once in a life time long distance shot, you carry more mail with the baby 'ott-six and day of the week and twice on Sundays! I took a shot and connected two years with a 25-06 on a big meat down across a field and up a ridge side from my stand. It was 500 yds. Legit. Held over I held one body width high and dropped her where she stood. Would do well with the 243 and there is no difference in the felt recoil. I still hit the deer with 1/2 a ton of umph. With the 243, I'd be just as flat, but close to 300 foot pounds less with a bullet that is 20 grains lighter.

Lol, are you serious? Yes, there is a .243 weatherby and always has been. Weatherby makes a beautiful .243 win. Its not a magnum and yes I suggest it for a 9 year old. Thats what I shot when I was that age and I wasnt even 100lbs. Then someday down the road the kid can get a .270 weatherby magnum for bigger game. With the right loads a 13 year old kid with a .243 and .270 magnum can take chucks, yotes, deer, elk, bear, wolf, muleys, antelope, etc.

OK, so if it's a .243 win caliber, why must it be in a Weatherby rifle for a 9 year old? I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that, although I have a hunch that I know what it is.

Because a weatherby is as flat shooting as it will get and the gun will last the kid a lifetime. Im 27 and shooting weatherby's that were made in the 1960's passed down from generations. The .243 can be used for a variety of game for him. I wish I got to shoot mine more but i live in a shotgun only county. But I always take the .270 mag and the .243 to trips out west for deer, wolf, antelope, elk, etc...I always bring both guns incase 1 gets jarred on the flight and is way off when I sight-in.

My father and I have the Lazermark ones, but if you want to save some $, get the Weatherby Vanguard with the composit stock. you can get the .243 for under $500 this way brand new. Then you just have to get a scope, I'd go with a Leupold, but thats just my opinion and another topic.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld