Stateland

Dom

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to check with the DEC. They have all kinds of different rules depending on the classification of the land use.

A little warning about horses, if you're counting on using them for packing a deer out. Not all horses will tolerate that sort of thing ..... lol. Years ago my Dad tried to drag a deer back home using the family horse. He wasn't having any part of getting anywhere near that thing. he wouldn't even come up to it. So that didn't work too good ...... Ha-ha. Obviously a whole lot of horses (probably most) have no problem with doing that sort of thing, but apparently there are some that won't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd get the horse an orange vest if you plan on taking him out in late November... Lotta "Special Ed's" out there

That reminds me, one of the places I hunt in Ulster county has a farm next to it with some cows. The owner didn't want anyone taking a shot at her prized heffers so she spray painted the word "COW" on them in blaze orange. I got a chuckle out of that the first time I saw one in the field. It works though.

That reminds me, one of the places I hunt in Ulster county has a farm next to it with some cows. The owner didn't want anyone taking a shot at her prized heffers so she spray painted the word "COW" on them in blaze orange. I got a chuckle out of that the first time I saw one in the field. It works though.

Now that is some funny stuff right there.

I have never heared of any restrictions on horses on state land. I do know there are many hunters that use them in the Adirondacks for hunting. They pack in wall tents and such. NY is so anti ATV, I would buy a horse for just such purpose If I could afford one.

A little bit on the side of this conversation...I read on another site guys using Bicycles to get into their spots on state land....they never said how they get OUT on state land if they were packing out a deer. Here is a link to the bikes, and a link to a guy who found a cool way to utilize an old walk behind stroller.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232515

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234850

I want to preface this by saying I am not profiling. Four years ago on opening morning of rifle her in 6a, three gentleman from westchester county had ventured up here to hunt. They shot an amish draft horse that was pregnant. They thought it was a spike horn. They also shot 15 minutes before legal light. The guy who shot had an m1 which holds 8 shots which is illegal unless modified and he had 50 rounds on a bandelero strapped across him to hunt for the day. By the time they paid for the horse, and court fines and fees, that was a 5 grand hunt for them. So a chuckle is ok, but it is reality. OOPS I forgot to add they shoot it on private property they had no permission to be on.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

On opening morning in our area if you had cox on the side of the cows, by 9am I was sure you would have a dead cow with the bullet hole dead center of the O...

• Like 1