camera shy

noahmstone

I have a couple of cams and i am getting some pictures but only 1 buck and he seems to stay far enough away from the cameras that i can't get a good look at his rack. i'll start you off with the doe and move on to the camera shy buck after.

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

this the original pick that at first i thought was a doe

PICT0009-1.jpg

until i enhanced the image into these

PICT0009-2.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

and this was a couple nights later can't tell if there are antlers or not one second it looks like it the next it doesn't

PICT0012-1.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

Edited by noahmstone

It is actually on 3 runways. the doe walking toward the camera Is going down a runway to the right the picture. The buck is going down our cut trail that there was a scrape in last year about 5-7 yards in front the buck. And there is another runway to the left of picture. But you can see all three runways from the where the camera is positioned it almost makes a triangle and the camera is in one of the corners facing the middle.

It doesn't flash brighter ever I enhanced the picture on my laptop with a photo editor. 1 click and the photo goes from being dark as h@ll to bright enough that you can see. I am just waiting to get a few shots with my new trophy cam and hope it gets better shot of him. I am almost thinking about switch positions of the 2 cams to see the trophy cam will do better on him.

Hi Noahmstone,

I can see maybe two things that may have to be adjusted in your camera set up. Looks like a nice spot with the three trails you speak of.

The first and very important thing is that Y shaped tree in front of your camera, that needs to be cut down as well as any other twigs or small brush.

The IR Flash will shoot out farther with that stuff removed.

The second thing would be to give the camera a little 3 to 5 degree downward pitch and mount the camera about waist high, than adjust after seeing the first results.

Try these little tips and make sure you always test your battery's with a good meter, your IR will need more voltage for night time pics.

I'm not sure if you are new to this great hobby, just thought maybe I could help you out. Let us know if you try this out.

Good luck, hope this helps. Would love to see the big one!

Rick! :)

thanks for the suggestions. I will try and fix these issues when I switch out sd cards. I also have to find a better way to secure this cam to the tree. the bungee cords don't work that great if you look at the last 2 pics something hit the cam and the last pics taken on the card were all at somewhat of an angle.

One thing has become obvious to me. Deer are aware of the camera whether it be conventional flash or infra red. Some are bothered by it and some are not. However, I have had very heavily traveled areas go from pictures every night to hardly any pictures at all, over time. I no longer use the cameras in places where I expect to be hunting, and simply use the cameras as a general look at what kind of herd is available in the area. It's just a curiosity kind of toy now instead of some attempted use as a hunting aid.

So if you are finding that your deer are becoming camera shy, it probably is exactly what is happening.

I was just joking when i said it was camera shy this was the first week the cameras were out. I am not trying to conceal it from deer I am trying to conceal it from trespassing/thieves.

However, conditioning your deer to become camera-shy is no joke. They absolutely do become aware of the camera eventually. At least in some of the experiences I have had with cameras, they do. Possibly the scent on the camera, or from the visits might also be aggravating this awareness. But I always have the best luck getting pictures when I first put a camera out and then the frequency of pictures slowly diminishes. Somebody is catching on to something.

One thing has become obvious to me. Deer are aware of the camera whether it be conventional flash or infra red. Some are bothered by it and some are not. However, I have had very heavily traveled areas go from pictures every night to hardly any pictures at all, over time. I no longer use the cameras in places where I expect to be hunting, and simply use the cameras as a general look at what kind of herd is available in the area. It's just a curiosity kind of toy now instead of some attempted use as a hunting aid.

So if you are finding that your deer are becoming camera shy, it probably is exactly what is happening.

Doc, I think you are right that is exactly what is happening. Many deer pictures and now not so much. Think I will move the camera to another location.

went out to pull cards today. and found that someone stole my father inlaws stand so i pulled both cams out and will upload pics later.

Now that's a damn shame! It seems that I am hearing more on this forum about stolen items this year than ever before. Take a close look at whatever is on those SD cards. There just might be pictures of two legged critters there.

went out to pull cards today. and found that someone stole my father inlaws stand so i pulled both cams out and will upload pics later.

I'm so sick of hearing stories like this, sorry to hear about the stand. What the heck is going on today with people in the woods?

Over the years I've seen so many stands, tents, and other hunting equipment and never even thought about taking someones property.

I'm not a happy camper tonight.

:angry: Rick! :angry:

Well i am sorry ignorant person or persons stiole the stand...but maybe the deer arent being affected by the camera but but other humans in the area scenting it up... i've left and area for a week or two to cool down only to find out someone else was using the area..here i think i' hunting an undisturbed area only to find out the nice elderly neighbor was walking her dog thru it 2x a day...... a short polite conversation took care of that but i still wonder about tresspasser, neighbor hood kids messing it up... seems like posted signs are just decoration......

Now that's a damn shame! It seems that I am hearing more on this forum about stolen items this year than ever before. Take a close look at whatever is on those SD cards. There just might be pictures of two legged critters there.

I think that has to do with the fact that there are a ton more members on here than there has been, so we hare hearing more about theft. It happens all the time on public and private land. Sucks that it happens.

here are the pictures I promised.

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009-3.jpg

The only 2 legged critter in any of the pictures was me so that doesn't help us much. all that was left of the stand was about a 12" piece of strap that was cut off and left there. It P1sses me off that people can't keep there hands off of other peoples stuff. I was raised that you respect other peoples stuff and you DO NOT STEAL!!! This idiot screwed up my season. it was one of the best stand locations on the property it has produced more mature bucks than any other stand there. I have another stand I could replace it with but why would I just so this idiot can come back and take another one of our stands. I will let my wifes uncle the property owner decide if he wants to build another stand there. they seem to leave our homemade stands alone.

I will be putting cameras back up on a different property so I will be be posting more pictures but won't hunt the property. I have permission to hunt the property but refuse too. it is my grandparents property and they enjoy seeing wild life come into their back yard and I don't want to disturb that for them. i enjoy getting pictures of the deer and other animal so i am going to setup the cameras on their property and we can all enjoy looking at what is on their property not just what comes into the back yard.

Edited by noahmstone

The only 2 legged critter in any of the pictures was me so that doesn't help us much.

Oh well, it was a long-shot, but was probably worth an extra look anyway. Some day it would be nice to hear that some thieves got caught on a cam.