Opening weekend LI

mbucks27

I'm not looking for specifics but is everyone hunting public or private?

I hunt both public and private and over the past 6 of hunting in long island, I have found that the private spots produce ALOT more then the public.... But my theory on that is that all the private spots I have are a lot smaller in acre size. So I'm able to pattern and find bedding areas easily. In the public spots I hunt they could be a few hundred acres and more so it almost luck if the deer are going to pass your stand that day. For long island I feel the smaller private are key!

Yes but finding access is a lot of work I think I'm going to make it my winter time project.

It is a lot, just have to start early in the season and do a lot of door knocking.... There are plenty of people that are fed up with all their shrubs being eaten!

Ok guys I'm new to the sight. I figured I'd add to the activity levels I observed this weekend. I hunted Saturday P.M. and had activity from 2:00 until it got dark. All doe and their fawns. The leaf cover was great because they had no idea I was there. Sunday P.M. I had the same exact activity. Upwards of 10 doe each sit, at all different times.

Cameras are showing buck activity at night in most of my spots.

Went out tonight. I dropped my doe head off at the check station and got my either sex tag. Hunted from 3 until dark and had does and a small 3 pt around me all afternoon. No big boys yet but hopefully they will show themselves soon!!!!

John

Hunted the P.M. yesterday from 3:45 to dark. Had a lot of activity but nothing worth drawing back on. When my buddy and I first got in we had approximately 4 to 6 doe traveling between us. Then as the temps dropped he had a 4pointer and a 5 pointer traveling together. At around 5:45 I had a small 6 pointer walk through. His G1's looked liked TicTacs while his G2 and G3's were about 4 inches long. It was a good feeling to see antlers moving through. There's something about antlers that just get your blood pumping.

Temps. this weekend are going to slow things down. I wouldn't hunt your good spots until another cold front comes through.

Good Luck and be safe.

Went out tonight. I dropped my doe head off at the check station and got my either sex tag. Hunted from 3 until dark and had does and a small 3 pt around me all afternoon. No big boys yet but hopefully they will show themselves soon!!!!

John

good stuff john!

Hunted the P.M. yesterday from 3:45 to dark. Had a lot of activity but nothing worth drawing back on. When my buddy and I first got in we had approximately 4 to 6 doe traveling between us. Then as the temps dropped he had a 4pointer and a 5 pointer traveling together. At around 5:45 I had a small 6 pointer walk through. His G1's looked liked TicTacs while his G2 and G3's were about 4 inches long. It was a good feeling to see antlers moving through. There's something about antlers that just get your blood pumping.

Temps. this weekend are going to slow things down. I wouldn't hunt your good spots until another cold front comes through.

Good Luck and be safe.

good stuff Joey and welcome aboard. glad you joined dude...

Hunted the P.M. and had only doe activity. Moon was bright. Temps dropped quickly as the sun went down.

Get ready for the warm weekend. I won't get back in the woods until next Tuesday or Wednesday. So fellow hunters entertain me with some feedback from your hunts.

Be safe and Good Luck.

Thank you I will post back with how it went. Two weddings this weekend dont they know its bow season??? I like hunting weekdays better anyway.

i hear ya lol, my cousins wedding is this weekend. rather it be this weekend then when things start to pop off in the woods lol

Saw one button buck under stand at 9 Im home now not hunting again until friday maybe a few times over the weekend since im not going up to my property this weekend probably. Hopefully temps will drop a loittle was even hot before sunrise today.

Reports are coming in real slow on deer movement. I feel it's the combination of the full moon and the heat. We are also falling into the October Lull period where deer should be putting on their winter fur. This will also create less movement. This is an all around bad combination. I'll predicted based on the Lunar Scale and hopefully a temp. drop that October 24, 25, 26, 27, 28th will be some stronger better days to hunt.

Check out: www.usprimetimes.com

Those dates are looking great. If temps drop they will be off the charts.

Edited by NY-Archer