need help with setup

JGaruti3

Hey guys,

I am starting bowhunting this year.  Actually already have a whole week of planned vacation to go hunt the first week in October.

I have shot bows before and I have been given two by friends to practice with.  I am not worried about getting my shooting down and all that since I have shot a lot in high school.

What I would like to know is what equipment do you think is essential to have.  Besides the bow, arrows, and a nice broadhead. 

What is the best way to get spec'd in for a bow?  I know there are different draw weights and draw lengths....what is the best way to determine that based on my body size? 

And what other equipment should I look in to getting?

Thanks

Well being where I live in NYC all everyone is going to do is try and sell me what they have in their store.  Not that I would have a problem buying here but of course I want the best deal for my money.

I am going to start going to this archery pro shop right here in Queens and see what the guy has to offer.  I am hoping he can setup me up proper.

On first set-ups, it may be worth a few extra dollars to buy from a local pro-shop. The time that he will spend with you will be worth something when you start adding up all the costs. Ebay and the big box stores and mail order will not provide that service.

Yes, he likely will try to sell you some stuff that you may not need, so be sure you have a shopping list in mind. Keep it simple. Such things as releases and peep sights and stabilizers and fancy arrow rests, and expensive sights are things that you may want to grow into as you find you need them. I would be very hesitant trying to tell you what of those kinds of things you absolutely need. Everybody kind of comes up with their own kinds and styles of accessories as they find a need for them, so I would be careful of advice that tries to talk you into the more expensive and exotic equipment ........ unless money is no object....lol. Keep it basic. After hours and hours of practice, you may begin to see where some more sophisticated accessories are necessary or will be of some assistance. You have a pretty aggressive schedule to go from needing equipment to being hunting-ready by October. It can be done if you are willing to work at it enough. Good luck.

Doc

Well I am planning on going at least once a week from now thru October to practice at the local range for at least an hour.  So I think doing that I should be able to be prepared come hunting season.

Do you ever bowhunt from the ground?

Some people are naturals at shooting and others need to really work at it. At 1 hour per week, I roughed it out to a total of 12 hours between now and the archery opener. Take away a week or so for buying equipment, and you are really pushing it. I think you will need to be a bit on that "natural" side to pull that off. It can be done, but personally I would arrange a whole lot more aggressive practice plan.

I always hunt from the ground. I can't do heights anymore. It does increase the challenge somewhat, but does not mean that you are doomed to never get deer. Furthermore, I don't think there is a more exciting way to deer hunt. I have done both treestands and ground stands for quite a few years, and there is nothing that can prepare you for the overwhelming panic and excitement of having a nice buck closing the distance between him and your blind while you are right there on his level, eyeball to eyeball. It will really test your nerves if you can pull off the shot under those circumstances.

Doc

You can get a rough estimate of your draw length if you take an arrow, or small stick of lumber, and hold in to your chest with your arms out in front of you holding the arrow like you are clapping. Measure from the end that was against your chest to where your fingers were, that will give you a starting point at least. It does sound like you will need some one in the know with you to help out.

Other than that, I agree you want a brace height of at least 7' to start, the bigger the better as it allows the bow to be more forgiving and you can get away with more mistakes that way. There is a lot to tuning a bow but the basics are easy to grasp, my wife picked up a bow late August last year and ended up making a perfect shot on a doe in November...I give credit to her shooting instructor...me  8)

Here is a list of my gear which is fairly basic nowadays..

Whisker Biscuit rest

Release

Arm Guard

Four pin fixed sight

I use a meta peep but you may want a tru peep with the rubber hose on it so it comes up right every time

Arrows..obviously... there are about ten million kinds though

Quiver

Silencers for the string

Limbsaver s-coil stabilizer

Muzzy 75 grain broadheads

Good luck!

I would suggest find a bow pro shop that is close to your home and has a indoor range. I would want the shop to measure me for draw length. I would then ask them did they have any used bow that I could try to see if I found one tht felt good in my hand. I would want to setup the bow for a peak weight range of 50 to 60 lbs. You did not say if you are a big guy or small. I would want to make sure the bow is setup on the light side to start with. I would go with a 1/2 doz carbon arrows, a pack of 3 Bh's in fixed blade at 100 gr weight, a fiber optic sight ( 3pin ) that I would sight in for 10, 20, 30 yards, a whisper biscutt rest or any other brand full containment rest, a 1/4 inch peep and a bow quiver.

first figure out your draw length then you can firgure out what bows would fit you. As for bows it depends in how much you want to spend, Mathews, Hoyt and bow tech have always been know has the top bows on the market. But mathews makes a bow called mission what are bascially a matthews bow with out all the features and they range from 400-700 dollars an bow tech makes bow called diamonds bows what they are nice two most of the shoot about 318 fps what pretty fast. Sight wise all you relly need is a tru glo 3 pin sight runs about 30 dollars. Rest wise whisker biskuit is the way to go there around 40 dollars and arrows depends if you are using fixed or mencanial broadheads for mencanial broadheads use bermen arrows about 100 dollars a dozon. stabizers run any were from 20 dollars two 100 dollars the mor expenssive the better. broadheads rage are the way to go but bascally now in day most broadheads out there will kill a deer.