Anyone with 480a Forestry Management experience?

I "inherited" this stupid program with some land from my grandfather.  This year between my brother being overseas and my ACL surgery, I missed the deadline on the annual commitment form by 3 days.  I'm told the assessor has some discretion in cases like this, but wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Had extensive experience with the program ...... 18 years ago. Back then it depended on the assesor and the town. Some weregreatly in favor of 480a and other towns were against it. Go and ask. Did you have a work commitment for this year (sale, thinning, etc.). What town/county are we talking about. 

On 3/10/2020 at 7:41 AM, Farflung said:

Had extensive experience with the program ...... 18 years ago. Back then it depended on the assesor and the town. Some weregreatly in favor of 480a and other towns were against it. Go and ask. Did you have a work commitment for this year (sale, thinning, etc.). What town/county are we talking about. 

Yeah we have a work commitment for this year, 3500 trees coming off this summer.

We've been in it for 5?  Years now.

Back and forth with ORPTS a bunch.  Long story short :. Theres no form to fill out for a late filing, there's nothing you can do at the grievance board.  Not a damn thing can be done about it.

What is orpts and what do they have to do with ur situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

Maybe look at the bright side. If you are technically not in the program this year, you might not have to make the percentage payment of this year's harvest to the county or town. You should look into this.

No, you do.  If I wanted to get out of the program I'd have to pay 5 years of back taxes on it.

Another interesting thing I learned talking to Scott Moxham at the DEC:. Can't make a food plot on it except for 2 ways:   I could, prior to the 10 year recommitment would be to take an acre off the plan, and pay back taxes on it.  Which isn't out of the question!  Other way is to have the logger use the spot as a staging area, clear a half acre, then rake it and plant it.  Also an interesting option.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
Engrish

I'm not talking about paying back taxes.

When you sell the timber, the county or town receives a percentage of the harvest payment that the timber buyer gives you. This might not be required now since you are not in the program this year. Ask your Forester.

If the dec approves ur annual commitment then the tax assessor should be obligated by the 480a tax law to give u the reduction. Not sure what the other agency u mentioned is involved for. I also believe u will be responsible for the % of ur timber sale to the assessor due to still being in the program. U might mention to the assessor that u r not gonna pay em if they don't give u the tax break and see how far that gets ya. This can't be that hard, although I kno it is. What a pita. Good luck and let us kno

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, b3h said:

I wouldn't be afraid to call ur senator and assemblyman either. It's their job to wade thru this agency red tape mess for ya and give u some help.

This was good advice.  I did this a few days ago and the state assemblymen replied very promptly.  Whether anything comes if it is yet to be seen!

It is my understanding...of course try to confirm this with Scott Moxham....If you aren't enrolled in the program this year, then you shouldn't have to pay the 6% stumpage tax to the county. Also, you don't have to pay any back taxes, if you agree to fulfill the next 9 years of your plan (the remaining years of the form submitted last year).  However, you don't get the abatement either for the next 9 years.  You just have to follow the plan, but then you are released from it when the 9 years are up.  

If you want back into the plan, I think you may have to wait 3 years after the logging job otherwise you're on the hook for the 6% stumpage tax.

The plan has its positives and negatives. I hope they heed some advice and make it a little less cumbersome for some.