What do you use early season?

nybuckboy

im not one to "use" scents persay. i even go as far as to even only use baking soda to wash all of my hunting clothes. i have been lucky enough to get at least one deer of some kind almost every year.

BUT i will say that this year i did a little research and read online about some home made scents that i think i am going to at least try. hopefully it will get at least a doe into range so i can fill my freezer that is getting to be pretty bare

I usually rattle the most during early bow season. I rattled in 2 small bucks this morning in my years first hunt. It seems to work best in early season.

I also always carry a grunt tube and had that work through out bow season.

But i have had good luck also with a doe bleat can.

Ive found that calling seems to work best in areas with a good buck to doe ratio. Areas that have alot of 1.5 year old bucks seem to provide alot of action with calls during bow season.

Edited by doulos

There is a place in Clarence, NY (if anyone is close) called Whitetail Scents. She has a deer farm and you can get fresh scents. She extractst them almost daily. I would say there is a huge difference since i started using those vs. the crap you buy at a commercial store (walmart, cabelas, etc.) like Tinks, etc. Not that I make a habit of it, but I do actually smell the urine I have bought from Whitetail Scents and it doesn't have much odor. The stuff you buy in a store is rancid and nasty. I also rattle. I agree, deer are curious. I have never had much luck wiht calls though. I have grunted with a deer standing right in front of me and he didn't even turn his head.

Usually Aqua Velva or Old Spice works for me. I do not have any faith in commercial scents, I prefer to hunt the wind and know my hunting area and deer habits through scouting and past experiences.

Seriously, I had tried commercial scents in the past, particularly when I was younger, sometimes they work simply out of curiosity. But I think they scare more deer away than they draw in. If I were to use scents, I would consult a trapper or someone with experience in making them over commercially bought stuff. Commercial scents do, do one thing, they attract a lot of hunters and their hard earned money!

Since we are all telling our secrets like creamer and old spice, my favorite is to eat a lot of deer jerky the night before a hunt, that way i get all bloated. Tjen the day of the hunt I am able to fart often. Sounds like a dominant buck grunt and smells like a deer !

Cover scents and lots of rattlin' till the rut is on, then I get the hot doe scent, and the bleat and hold on.... Tough thing is gettin the big boys to play along. Sure is fun having the young ones run up on you though ! Have fun, try stuff ! Hunting is always a learning process.

I am going to try vanilla tomorrow.going to put it in a spray bottle deluted down.then squirt it on some leaves on a tree in near my stand in a shooting lane.Worth a try.heard good things about it.

I dont rattle.Never heard it in my woods.Unless it was the neighbor.And he sucks at it.

Never had any luck with estrus this time of yr.So i wait till nov.

Took some acorns,pine needles,leaves from maple,cherry and oak trees and leaves from blackberry bushes and boiled them into a tea.And put in a spray bottle.Smells like woods when it dries.

haha at the comment "unless my neighbor sucks at it." Thanks for the laugh. The deer definitely fight and rattling definitely works at least a little bit. As TreeGuy said, the big guys are aprehensive, but it is fun watchign the youngin's come running in. The biggest deer I have shot to date in Chautauqua county was a product of some rattling. He didn't come charging in like you see on TV in Texas, but he was curious enough to stroll over and look around.

I use buck urine in mock scrapes early in the bow season and switch to doe in heat the last week of Oct. I have killed 15 bucks with a bow and I can attribute 13 of them to mock scrapes. They didn't bring the bucks to me, but they did make them curious enough to stop and smell the scrape, which in turn presented shots. I am a huge advocate for mock scrapes and buck or doe pee. They work like a charm.

. He didn't come charging in like you see on TV in Texas, but he was curious enough to stroll over and look around.

Everything is dumber in Texas. "Yeah we gone done put about a gallon of that there c'mere deer out in this here game farm, gives you a real feelin' of accomplishment." I bet feeling up their sisters and shooting fish in a barrel does too.