How far up in a tree is your typical stand?

Fantail

Tree stand height?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Tree stand height?

• 16 feet & under
    • 17 to 19 feet
    • 20 - 25 feet
    • 25 feet & up

I recall that when I 1st started bowhunting around 1994 - 5 that it was a rarity for deer to look up . Now it seems so common . The deer have evolved !

I read that somewhere too. In heavily pressured hunting areas where a lot of hunters take to the trees, it doesn't take the deer long to begin expecting danger from above.

It doesn't matter to me though because you will never find me up there anyway. Me and heights don't get along too well anymore.

Doc

ladderstands are 15'...built stands are 16-23ft and when I climb its usually 20ft...I do have a 12' one in a wht pine and I have a 5' one that sit right on the edge of a steep hill side....to catch them walking the bottom headed toward a planted trail...feels like your 20' up...lol

i usually like to place my stands 20 - 25ft. 20 ft average.

depends on the canopy and surrounds really... i did have a stand i placed a few years ago that was about 30 - 32ft, it was pretty high only becasue the back side of the tree was kind of on a gully and on a slope. 

When i was in Colorado hunting my friends and I were putting our stands 20' UP. Now that im back in SufflokCounty NY i cant use one so Its back to spot and stalk. Does anybody have anything to say about ground blinds workinf in my area?

Why can't you use  treestands in Suffolk County? I don't understand.

Doc

Well on privite land you can but most of the hunting areas in suffolk are all public land run by the state or county. they say that the tree stands "ruin and hurt tree".

Wow! that's crazy. I never heard of a place that outlawed treestands.

Well anyway, It's not the end of the world. Deer can be hunted from the ground. It's a little tougher, but I do it all the time as do a jillion other people. There are some drawbacks, but there's an awful lot of hunters that take an awful lot of deer from groundstands every year.

Doc

My haul line is twenty four feet long and is attached to a belt loop. When it comes taught the base of the stand is about twenty feet. Being near the same height every time eliminates some of the variables for range estimation.

actually nyhunter ...I am too...those stands I built all have very large eye bolts in them that .before I ever step off on to the platform I hook my harness to...They are also set at a height that if I were to fall I would never go farther than my knees at most below the stand...Of course I'm a tad well...anal about stand maintenance...re nailed and or bolted and I go through alot of boiled Linseed oil every other year...deer kinda like the smell of that stuff...strange :-\